OT: BORG Never Sleeps

|Wes Stewart writes: | |>Yep. Right on my way to the Orange Borg and lots of parking. And if |>they don't put in a "Self Checkout line", they'll get all of my |>business. I'm retired and if I wanted a job as a cashier at a home |>center (or a supermarket) I'd put in an application. | |Why the aversion to "Self Checkout". Any store that puts in one of these |will get more of my business. | |I can usually get out of the store far faster with Self Checkout than |having to wait in line for a cashier. I don't usually buy enough at a |supermarket to need a regular cashier.

I tried it at the Borg the first and last time. Two items, one wouldn't scan. I asked the clerk overseeing the four scanners for help. Another guy was having trouble too and she was assisting(?) him. She said, "I'll be right there."

Five minutes later, I took my stuff to another register and was out of there while the other guy was still in the "express" line.

Not to say you can't get held up in a regular line. They should have a policy: if they can't get a response for a SKU request in two minutes, the item is free.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Been my observation that the line I stand on will always be the slowest.

Then when I get to the front, the "next window please" sign goes up....

Reply to
George

I agree with you Wes... when they start paying me for my time at $20/ hour to check out their merchandise, then we'll talk.

You're not thinking downstream far enough. Think about it... once stores get everyone checking out their own stuff (and they will if more people don't avoid it), then the following will be true:

a) The lines will be just as long as regular checkout now b) You'll be doing all the work c) You'll be stuck behind idiots that will be slower than the cashiers that you have today... increasing your wait even more.

This is lose, lose, lose for the consumer.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Burr