Featherboards: any wood ok?

Is there a particular wood that's best suited for feather boards? I've got poplar, oak, and a bit of maple in my shop. TIA

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

IME, just about any domestic hardwood will do. I've used scrap oak for a number of them and never had a problem. If you're just clamping them to a work surface, you can knock'em out on the bandsaw in a few minutes time.

Reply to
Swingman

You idiot. Got to the lumber yard and ask for Featherwood.

Reply to
goonair

the more I think about it, the more I realize, your question is probably the dumbest I have ever read. LOL.

Reply to
goonair

that earned you a plonk my fearless friend! P-L-O-N-K!

DAVE

go> You idiot. Got to the lumber yard and ask for Featherwood.

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

that's what I suspected, but thought I'd ask. I was planing on doing one on the BS (to help justify the $750 I spent on it).

dave

Sw>>got poplar, oak, and a bit of maple in my shop. TIA

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I cant say that I am your friend, there's more involved with that, BUT, you are one funny son of a gun, and I am still laughing at the absurdity of your post...actually most of your posts! You are a legend! I'm glad you are so uh, different, than most. You made my day.

Reply to
goongoneplonk

What's wrong with soft pine? That's what I use but most of what I work with is conifer. Is strength a consideration or just bendability?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Not a stupid question as some have posted. Any wood will do, however, you want wood with the straightest grain, otherwise, the "feathers" will break or not bend the same. Quartersawn, obviously, will give the best featherboard.

BTW - wish you guys would get into the spirit of the newsgroup.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Reply to
Jules

Sits at home all day now, talking to his bandsaur.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Even contest grade Balsa Wood? maybe............maybe............ :) I'm sorry, BAD, but gee, it really is funny. I would add to back up Preston's advice, to cut the fingers so the grain is parallel to the fingers, as possible. If thats the way too say it.

Reply to
goonair

Thanks, Preston, your answer is precisely the reason why I asked this seemingly "dumb" question. I figured that as with everything else, there's a "right way" and there's also the "right stuff" for the job. I think I've got one piece of qs oak left.

dave

Prest> Not a stupid question as some have posted. Any wood will do, however, you

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I just grab a piece of any scrap and have at it. Made a couple recently (ok, 2 years ago) out of some used pine shelving that work great and didn't cost me anything.

I guess essentially straight grain and no knots should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass