OT: Back from Vacation

Folks -

Well, I'm sitting here getting ready to get to work so I can post "Foundation VII:... or was it VIII, later today

The wif and I have been on a short vacation - up to the family hunting cabin, drinkin' and plinkin' and the like, we did some plumbing for a 1200 gallon watertank that my bro-in-law installed earlier this year and then also did some genealogical research.

We found several homes in the East Bay (SF Bay area, California) that my dad's family grew up in... most of them were still standing, only one of them had been overtaken by Oakland's Ghettos...

It was SO cool to have pictures from about 80 (+) years ago and compare them to the current neighborhoods. We did find one of the homeowners at home and gave him an extra copy of three pics that we had from the '20s and we exchanged what information we could.

All in all a good time... If I learned anything about my family its that it's a blessing to have ancestors that WROTE DOWN WHO THE HELL WAS WHO AND WHEN WHERE... hehehe... So getcher pictures OUT of the shoebox and start writing on the back of them. You might know it ALL but it is unlikely that your Grandkids will..

More to come!

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

"John Moorhead" wrote in news:psrUc.1046$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Amen to that! We've been trying to figure out who all those folks are from my grandparents picture box, after they passed away 15 years ago.

My dad grew up in the Valley, then moved to Hayward in the late '30's. My mom had family in both Oakland/Berkeley and in Mendocino County. We've visited those homes, more than a few times. Still need to write more down, however.

There is some neat software available that allows scanning the old pictures and adding commentary and identification, then making them available for sharing in electronic form, with the information attached. It's something my mother was able to do, even in her last months...

It's also a good means of reconnecting with scattered second cousins, etc.

Now, back to the Summer Shop Soap Opera. The wReck awaits!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch