OT: as OT as OT gets. I had my last Peanut Butter Cup.

Page 2 of 6
On 11/27/2010 2:34 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Considering that English was a second language for many of my teachers early on, it's amazing we learned grammar of any sort.
We were told repeatedly never to use "me" when listing yourself after others ... and to do so was to be ill mannered as well (thank you, Sister Mary Catherine, for that bit of ill advised wisdom). It wasn't until I got into college that I learned not all considered that grammatically correct.
So, apparently there are three of you??
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You have GOT to be kidding.... . . . g,d&r

English the living language, it evolves and changes way to fast by the time you are forty. Myself at fifty four I will stick with numbers as a language I understand how to use.
Mark
"Markem" wrote:

That's no excuse for the absolute butchery of the rules when trying to correctly apply the subjective vs. objective case of pronouns.
My teachers would roll over in their graves at the total abomination that passes for correct grammar these days.
Lew
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 15:40:50 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

If it was not for Summer Theatre being an English credit I would not have qualified for my High School diploma. Those were the rules and I bent them a bit. I attempt not to butcher English but not always successfully.
Mark

I have to say, different accents have never really bothered me. I tend to think that if the person has a grasp of syntax and vocabulary, then however they speak can be compensated for by a competent listener. For example, there are many different accents in the UK, but we all tend to get along quite happily.
I had an argument with a cousin of mine once - she was trying to convince everyone around her that words with 'oo' (book, cook, look, etc) must ALWAYS be pronounce with the oo as in 'ooh-la-la', and not 'cut'. Now I can accept that in regional accents this may be true for certain words, but have you ever heard the word 'foot' pronounced that way? We quickly resumed drinking. My personal bte noire is the mispronunciation of words like bath or grass. Typically, southerners get it wrong and end up offending my ears with bahth and grahss, which to me should be spelt baath and graass. I'm boring myself now. I'll just stop.

Well the Dutch tend to have very good English in my experience. The Germans too, but they will apologise for their lack of English before speaking it near perfectly.

Yous guys. Curdles my blood. I cried typing it. yous..... wtf? The plural of you? "How's yous guys? *retching*

Oh..oh.oh... here's another one I can't stand: (pronounced as) eKcetera.. on etcetera with a T, but eKcetera.....*barfs*
On 11/28/2010 5:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:

The language of 2moro!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/28/2010 5:25 PM, Swingman wrote:

How topical and timely:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherhowse/8095612/It-aint-what-you-say.-.-..html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/28/2010 5:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherhowse/8095612/It-aint-what-you-say.-.-..html And there you have an inkling of why the English take offense to the misuse/abuse of English ... it is a sign of class distinction that goes back centuries, upfront for all to hear and most difficult to hide.
I'm currently reading everything by the 19th century English author, George Gissing (1857-1903), that Gutenberg Press has to offer for download:
http://textual.net/access.gutenberg/1/George.Gissing
One of the recurring themes in his books is accent and grammatical mores being a hallmark of class distinction. In "New Grub Street", the mother of one of the protagonists has never been able to live down her lower class upbringing due to her accent and manner of speaking and thus is basically an outcast in her family, and a lifelong embarassment to her husband's efforts to raise himself above poverty.
Pretty stark, historically powerful and insidious stuff, this "proper" use of the King's/Queen's English ... ... just ask 'enry 'iggins and Eliza.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/28/2010 5:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:

How about "supposeably"?
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

And its cousin "Irregardless"?
On 11/28/10 6:23 PM, David Paste wrote:

Which was recently included in the dictionary.
Why? Simply because of usage.
--

-MIKE-

Which dictionary? To be fair, dictionaries are simply a record of words-in-use, so not too much use to the militant pedant.
-MIKE- wrote:

Same for "conversate".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/29/10 6:46 AM, dadiOH wrote:

"commentate" "orientate"
People seem to be too hungry to speak properly, as they what to "ate" everything. (that was terrible)
--

-MIKE-

"Robatoy" wrote:

A line from a Pete Seeger tune.
Lew
regurgitate
Try using "gurgitate" in place of "eat" or "consume" and watch the expressions. Art