OT Antivirus software

Page 1 of 6

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back 3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if there are other options available.

-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Complete our tool survey, Win $200! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System - Digital Calipers & Height Gauge - Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated) - Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer - WoodHaven Biscuit Master - EZ Smart Guide System ------------------------------------------------------------
AVG gets my vote as well. Been using the free version for about a year, it updates very smoothly every day, very easy to use (nothing to do) and integrates perfectly into Outlook.
Ian

Convinced me, bought it this morning. Thanks all for the suggestion and support.
On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:50:03 -0400, "Ian Wheeler"

I thought AVG was free for personal use. Been using it on a PC for some years. It updates automatically, scans email. If you are using it for business, you need to buy the license.

I understood from the couple of days use of the free version that E-mail was excluded and there was no support. After McAfee I've had all of the no support I need! It is labeled Professional but that's merely Madison Ave chatter as far as I'm concerned.

Woodcrafter wrote:

I second that recommendation. Great program, simple to install, configure, use and, most importantly, it works!
Free for home use and VERY reasonable for networks. I bought a ten license network pack for $250 which includes updates and viruse definitions for TWO years. Figures out to $12.50/yr per machine. Compare that to even the best rebate offer Symantec offers.
Try the free version - fully functional - and see what you think.

I have been using the free version of AVG.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5
They have pay versions as well. I have tried several other virus filters. But AVG has done the job for me. The strongest point in its favor is that it doesn't load my machine down and slow the computing. Which is important for my applications.
The only downside is that it does take a bit longer when using my new spam filter. But even then, it doesn't load the machine down and everything gets done like it is supposed to.

Norton or EZ Trust from Computer Associates. I have one at home, the other at work, they are both pretty good.
http://store.ca.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry10?SP 023&PN=1&xid5715&V1g7538&DSP=&CUR0&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID9788

OOI, what version of EZTrust are you running and are you using just the virus or the fwall as well? V5.xx firewall is having a lot of reported troubles. I have it and I have experienced these. The reports come from the forums (mostly Zone Labs ones, which cover the same virus/firewall engine)and match my experiences. CA's

OS X Virus free since April 2001. On line 24/7/365 'cept one line power failure caused by some privatization deal south from here..*G* UNIX rules!!!
and prior to installing OS X:
OS 9 and previous Virus free since Jan. 1993.
----------------------- Ad them up. 12 years, no virus. No virus checkers either.
One virus in 1988
No virus from 1984 - 1988
Before everybody takes their shirts off, I only toot the Mac horn when the topic has presented itself. I NEVER start threads extolling the virtues of the vastly superior, crash-worthiness, viral immunity, functionality and blazing speed of this obviously better platform.
G,D & R
[...]

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Cute.
OS 6 (SIX) wasn't even old by 1993.
I knew some parts of 'Old Europe' were a bit behind on some things, doc, but system 7.6 wasn't released till Jan 24 1997. This time, it seems, you were ahead by at least 7 years with the release of OS 9.0 which was released just prior to OS X to prepare mac users for the upgrade to OS X. I'd put that release around 1999 or 2000.
Have somebody check your homework. <G>

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

Have somebody check your history. <G>

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here? If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING about any Apples prior to 1984.

Nope. Here: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~pruyne/os9faq.html

OS9 as you may know by now, was fairly unix-ish. So it is more similar to OS X than it was to the other, more recent OS 9.

Whelllll..egg on MY face. Here I thought I knew what I was talking about.

Well, you _do_ know what you're talking about! You just didn't know what _we_ were talking about. A subtle but important distinction.

ProDOS? Apple DOS? 140K Single Sided Disks = punch and flip for anoth'a 140K?
Second "PC" was a //e that I upped to 128K to run Apple (UCSD) Pascal. That was fun...
On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:26:01 GMT, Patrick Conroy

AAAAAAAAAARGH! Someone mentioned UCSD Pascal!
Please, please don't do that. Just for that - FORTAN 77!!!!