OT - A Little Snow in the Northeast

Page 1 of 2
Well, so much for any shop time today with the 2" per hour we're getting here right now. But we can't complain - just north of us a few miles they have 5' of the fluffy stuff on the ground already and another storm forecasted. We're at almost 3' now and we'll be in the path of that storm...
I shoveled a path thru that the other day so I could get to the shop and now it's all filled in again.... some days ya just can't win...
How ya all doing? (and no smart-a** comments from those that can look up and see the sun either...)
Bob S.
I have friends in Oswego NY - they have almost 90" on the ground already in the past 6 days.
Im in NC - a bit chilly here - was down to 25 this morning. But not as bad a my buddy in MN - it was like -27 or something ungodly cold like that yesterday.
I think its time to move further south - like the equator ;)

It's 58 and raining football fans here in Houston.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

Super Bowl in one's town.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:57:07 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Unless they'd play it in a place like Green Bay. That'd be fun. I'd be amused by the football fans from a warm weather city going there. But of course that won't be happening.
Rob V wrote:

SWMBO rented /El mariachi/ last night, and I watched it without subtitles, and pretty well understood it. Mexico didn't look *that* bad.
That was a good movie, BTW. I usually don't like foreign movies. French movies suck. Spanish movies suck. German movies suck. Only in America do we have the dependable, ridiculously sappy happy ending.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:32:19 -0500, Silvan

Mexico hardly counts as "foreign"

Watch both versions of "Nikita", then tell me that.

Anything by Almodvar.

Run Lola Run
Even _East_ German films (Good bye, Lenin! ) have stopped sucking.
These days even Danish films like Dogville (OK, it's arguably French) don't suck and have Nicole Kidman in them too.

And that's why you get so caught out by reality like Iraq.
Andy Dingley wrote:

It's foreign enough. As far as I'm concerned, if there's no English audio track, it's foreign, even if the movie originated entirely within the USA.

I didn't care for "Nikita" but I haven't seen the Americanized version, so it's possible that I might have liked the French original better.
I've seen French originals of various other American movies though, and universally disliked them. The biggest change we always make, of course, is to tack on a happy ending.
I don like Almodvar either. Booooooring.
I majored in foreign languages about 10 years ago, so I haven't seen what's come out in the foreign film realm since the early '90s, but I certainly never saw anything I would ever watch outside of a compulsory environment. Not until /El mariachi/ anyway.

Touch. I still prefer American film. It's sappy and stupid and utterly unrealistic, and I like that. I don't need to watch reality for entertainment. I live reality every day.
It's one of the fundamental cultural differences between the US and Europe, maybe the whole rest of the world. Your airplane swoops down, pop pop pop, Mom's dead, Dad's dead, Grandpa's dead, Uncle's dead, dog's dead, little baby girl laying all alone on a field full of dead people. In our movies, airplane swoops down, pop pop pop, narrowly misses everyone, and they get to safety just in the nick of time, blow the hell out of the bad guys, and live happily ever after.
American optimism.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:51:49 +0000, Andy Dingley

The French Nikita is probably the most intensely violent film I'd seen. And people outside the US think American films are violent. Please.
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:04:22 -0600, Lazarus Long

You should watch "La Haine" then.
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:43:02 +0000, Andy Dingley

I live in southeast Wisconsin. I wonder where I'd find a copy to look at.
There's a limit to the amount of violence I'll watch. Or language. I must be getting old, but really, every other word doesn't need to be cursing (think the Pacino version of "Scarface") and the body count doesn't have to approach 9-11 to make a good movie.
Rob, Oswego is my home town. I lived there for nearly 50 years, currently retired and living in Kentucky since 1990. I have been there and done that many times. I tell folks in Kentucky about how much snow can fall overnight and they don't believe me. It's is amazing at how well the snow is handled and how little it slows things down.
Regards, Charlie in Kentucky

Bob S. wrote: [snip]

Maybe this time you can dig a tunnel and have done with it. :-)

Can't see the sun yet. Fog/clouds rolled in to our mountaintop last night. No storms until Monday night. Lots of folks coming up Sunday for the Super Bowl followed by "super Survivor". Think I'll catch the game and then work on my curmudgeon for a couple hours. Replays of the Super Bowl commercials later. So this is what passes for civilization in the US of A. I knew this would happen if those Republicans got into office.     humph,     jo4hn
According to NWS, up to 41" of hard packed snow in my area. I'm averaging a bit over two and a half on the level right now. 140+ so far this winter.
Difference is, ours will be here 'till May, yours won't last the week.

says...

Nah, it's cloudy here in Tucson this morning, so I can't see the sun. Will be opening the doors and windows after the morning chill is off though.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:56:07 GMT, Mark & Juanita

It's easy for notherners to be envious now, but no one here is going to envy the 100 degree F plus temps in the summer.
Bob S. wrote:

I think less than 3' is the most I've ever seen, except in drifts. A 24" snowfall is crippling here. How do you keep your roof from caving in with 5' of snow on the ground? How do you keep your house from rotting with all that water piled up above the windows? How do you get out to your mailbox? :)

It's cold as balls. I tried to walk the nature trail with my kids, but I came to my senses. We didn't need to see the frozen waterfall that badly.
I only have 6" of snow on the ground, and it's bright and sunny, but cold. Cold by our standards anyway. Way above 0 F, but well below freezing.
I finally had to shut down one of my ponds. I have a really cool ice sculpture out there. A pile of pebbled brownish, frothy looking ice with a 24" well and an almost dry pump at the bottom. All the water came up, blew out, and froze, so the pond is all but empty.
It hasn't been above freezing here for over a week now. So much for my early optimism about an early spring. The ground has spent more time white than not since December. Unusual for Virginia.
Silvan wrote:

When I was growing up in MI, we had a fun winter back in '67? '69? something like that. Walked back from school with a bunch of friends, about 5 miles and into the house on the 2nd story. We all stayed there for the next week and a half. No mail, so who cares about the mailbox. Fresh food walked into the back yard, and was dragged onto the balcony to be dressed and butchered. We lost a bunch of people that winter. I'm so glad that we don't get that kind of snow here in VA. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

How old were you then? (I turned 10 in 1969 FWIW... ;-)
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Dave in Fairfax
--