a little snow

it wasn't the first time we've had snow in the air, but it certainly gives the signal that winter is on the way.

we'll have some cold for a bit then warming the rest of the week so i should be able to finish up the last of the gardens i'd planned to put up for the winter.

today while out and about, i was sitting at the table inhaling my brunch when this lady was getting up from the neighboring table and for some reason she just started talking to me about the weather, the fact that they were a farming family, that the harvest was mostly in and they'd had a good season, etc.

ok, i'm a friendly sort, so i made a few comments and asked her husband about winter wheat and winter rye planting, as that is what i'm doing now when i finish up a garden. i had no idea how late i could plant it and still expect it to sprout and grow. i'm not concerned as much about the actual crop, but in having it as a cover for the ground during the winter. he said i was right on the edge, but if we get some warmth it should sprout, but he said it may not really grow all that much until spring. so perhaps it won't do what i'd like. if we have a few warm enough weeks yet then we'll see how it goes.

i said thanks, :), and they wandered off out into the world. after finishing my lunch i did likewise.

the rains are welcome as we've taken in the hoses and i wasn't relishing the idea of hauling water by cans to get the gardens moistened again. they've been spaced out just about perfectly for keeping things wet and growing as soon as i can get it planted.

other than that, it's projects all over the place indoors and outdoors. we've probably processed close to 20 bushels of apples the past few weeks into apple sauce and apple crisps, some we put up for ourselves but most of it going to soup kitchens, friends or family. now that we have the routine down we can finish 3-5 gallons of apple sauce in an evening.

and yes, i still like the smell of baking apples.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We just had our first flurry this am.

Reply to
Frank

Ours is due tonight. Probably the only but you never know. I was in the Raleigh area for 16 inches. MJ

Reply to
mj

Northern DE. Just a dusting but lots of talk about it. We can get substantial snows but its way too early. Wife from Cleveland where heavy snows can be normal this time of year was concerned. I recall over an inch of snow one afternoon in Cleveland around the end of June. I chide her about this;)

I recall flying to Raleigh once watching the snow covering the east disappear as we approached Raleigh.

Reply to
Frank