All ***ed up

Yesterday, today, tomorrow, over 85F. Does take a swift dive at night, tha nk goodness; you sleep with a blanket all year here.*

About to sow SEEDS of "winter" crops - radish, lettuce, beet, green onion. Will they get confused if this madness continues? Hope by the time they s prout, things will have reverted to "normal", whatever the hell THAT is in this globally warmed world...

  • Unlike Hong Kong, where I came out of the airport at 10:30 pm few years a go and got slapped in the face by a hot, wet blanket. Up to then, I had ne ver been in a place where it didn't cool off at night. Well, I lie -- Indi a, Vietnam, but you have to stay in airconditioned accommodations.

Back to Alaska and another 10-day camping/mushing trip. THE greatest!

But I ramble...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

At noon yesterday, it was 88F with 7% relative humidity.

Near the ocean where you live, the heat will speed sprouting and help to get the plants established before what we call "winter" arrives. Where I live, this is very important because we often get night frosts in the winter (only occasional and very light); so winter flowers need to be established before the frosts. Otherwise, while the plants will be okay, they won't bloom until spring.

Reply to
David E. Ross

How about your veggies? Can you protect them from Valley frost by spreading black plastic over them at night?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

The only vegetables that I grow are artichokes and asparagus, both of which are sufficiently hardy. I also grow perennial herbs: thyme, peppermint, sage, tarragon, oregano, and bay. In April, after all threat of frost is gone, I also plant dill and basil; the dill is history by September before any frost. The basil might linger until the first frost, but I already harvested and dried more than enough to last through the winter.

Other edibles in my garden are fruits. I have dwarf citrus: Eureka lemon, Robertson navel orange, Mineola tangelo, and kumquat. I have a pineapple guava, a MacBeth loquat, and a Santa Barbara peach. So far, these have been sufficiently hardy to survive the frosts, although my orange did have some damage in January 2007. I would not try limes; they are the least hardy of the citrus. I sometimes worry about the winter not being cold enough for the peach. The loquat blooms in December and January; it seems to ignore the frost.

Reply to
David E. Ross