Oscillating Spindle sanders

Page 1 of 2
What the best quality oscillating spindle sander for under $600? I prefer one that can take a 3" diameter spindle, tilt table, and would prefer a 4" dust port. If anyone can point me to recent (<6 years) comparison articles I'd greatly appreciate it.

A big dust port is completely unnecessary for those machine. The tool's apeture of suction, proximity of the dust to the apiture and the "dust throw" require only modest cfm.
DAGS... we talked about this about a month ago. There was a FWW artical very recently, but IIRC the price range covered was more like $150 - $350.
-Steve

What about the Ridgid one? I've been looking at this one myself and wouldn't mind some reviews/opinions.
Hey
I had asked that same question only a month ago and got some excellent answers. You might try Googling this group for Spindle Sanders..
I ended up purchasing the Ridgid from Home Dept. Setup was very simple and easy, did most of it without the manual, but did refer to it to double check my work. Very intuitive. It is very quiet and easy to use, I was pleasantly surprised.
I started by attached the 2" drum sander and used that last night. It worked well, but the supplied drum sandpaper was a little finer grit than I needed to start. I was cleaning up some 2"+ white oak, and I could bog it down if I tried, but overall very pleasing.
Just now, I attached the belt sander and tried that. I had not realized that the belt sander would oscillate as well, another pleasant surprise. (I guess I thought there would be some override when that attachment was used). With the Belt sander, and the contours on each end, I was easily able to finish the piece of oak I was working on, and the interchange was a snap. I think I am in love.
I need to get a vacuum attachment made, but that is minor. I have my fingers crossed that it will hold up under use, because it is going to be one of my favorite tools.
Thanks again, everyone
Gary

I know you are looking for reviews, but Grizzly has some pretty good comparisons between the models they sell in their catalog. I'm not sure they offer the size you are looking for but it might be worth a trip to their website.
Fine Woodworking issue 188 has a side by side comparison. I think you need to have a membership to view it online if you don't have the issue. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id '677
Woodcraft's website also details the two Jet OSS's. The benchtop one is in your price range and does everything you're looking for. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid875
Joe C.

Anyone know which one was the highest rated in the FW article? What are the pros/cons of the Jet JBOS-5?

I'll look and post tomorrow.
jc

$100.00 more will get you the Grizzly floor standing spindle sander delivered.

I have the Jet bench top and also have the 3" spindle accessory. The set up cost me between 4 and 5 hundred dollars 2 years ago. So far so good. The 3" spindle is really handy and is the one I use 90% of the time and is very much worth having. IIRC mine came with the Jet life time guarantee. That said, although it is considered a bench top, you will want to have a much shorter stand for it to set on. IIRC mine sets on a 18-20" tall stand.
Do all of the sanders use the same length drums? In the pictures, one or two appear to be longer, but nobody seems to specify the length of their drums, just the various diameters.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Nope, you'll have to look for the sleeve sizes appropriate to the various models to get that information. Seems dumb, but print is expensive?
I've got the JET benchtop. Works beautifully, and the price is still good, though it's gone up a lot since I got mine. Only wish is that it would oscillate a tad faster, but the length of stroke is good, so I guess I'll keep it.

No, some brand sanders have longer spindles. On the Jet however they are all the same length. The spindle may be in the down position if the spindle looks shorter.

I have the Rigid model, and like it. Notice I didn't say love it. It is not a industrial tool. Hey, HD sells it! It does the job for me, but I would like a much longer belt, and more power. You can stall it fairly easily. I would not expect to be able to stall an industrial sander. For the money, it's a good deal for the home shop. A dust collector is needed for shore. I use my shop vac and it works fine. Buy one and try it out. Return it if you don't like it. Good luck.
sailor wrote:

Mine only stalls if I let the belt slip down far enough that it's riding on the frame. I have no doubt that I _could_ stall it if I set out to do it but with the belt it would take more pressure than I've ever felt any need to use.

--John

I'm too cheap to spend that much money on something I won't use very often. I took some plywood, built a platform that will fit on the drill press table, and cut a hole in the center of it. It's not as good, but it works well enough for my purposes. With a second person around it will even oscillate. :-) (I could surely rig up a way to make it oscillate when I'm the only one there, but I've not had a sufficiently round tuit.)

The true spirit of woodworking.
If it gets tons of use, you can always buy one... <G>
darkon wrote:

turned a number of various sized cylinders and fix them to the shaft as needed. Has done a good job for over ten years. Not say that I would not like an ocilating spindle sander ;) The other benefit is that mine used standard paper, no need to buy sleeves.
regards John

A couple of issues back Fine Woodworking magazine rated these machines. They did something I do not believe they have ever done before. They rated Rigid both "Editor's Choice" and "Best Value."
Normally the best product receives their "Ed. Choice" rating and then it goes to the best value for the money. I never have seem one machine receive both.
This was enough for me. I went out and bought one. I'm glad I did.
Consider horse power.
The Grizzly G0529 Spindle Sander 1 HP and only $475 Plus it has a disk sander too and up to 2" spindle. The Grizzly G1071 Spindle Sander is 1 HP and $625 (I have this unit and it is 100% industrial grade) comes with up to 4" spindle
The Jets are only 1/2 hp. This makes a big difference in a sander. You want a moter when you need it and it also will last a lot longer.