How do I cut a 4x4 post?

A good, sharp old fashion crosscut **GASP** handsaw.

Mark

Markem

Illinois, so yes we have DST, the system is suppose to set itself and it did. Maybe Agent picks up the originating message time zone??? Ah the sweet mysteries of life.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Ok, I've tried cutting the end with a sawzall, the ends come out uneven. I tried with a circular, I can't ever seem to get the cuts to line up when I flip the wood to do the other side. And the miter saw I have just isn't big enough.

I've resorted to having Home Depot cut them there, but they don't do precision cuts, and sometimes they are too busy and I don't want to wait.

Add in the fact that sooner or later I'm going to have rough sawn 4x4 that I will have to cut myself regardless.

Besides buying a really big miter/radial arm saw, any suggestions?

Reply to
-

All power tools have limitations and, if you're going to "work wood", the sooner you run into that wall the better.

So do what your forefathers did ... use a hand saw.

Either to finish your circular saw cut, or by wrapping a line on the top and edge next to you and taking your time and following it, using a clamped on block of wood as a guide if necessary.

If you don't have a good crosscut saw, now's the time to get one.

Reply to
Swingman

Do you and live in a state with no DST, or did you just not set your system clocks?

Just curious ...

Reply to
Swingman

Take your 4x4, put it on a workbench or sawhorses. Measure off and clamp 2 straightedges to each side at the exact same spots (i.e. parallel to each other). Use each clamped straightedge to run the circular saw against. Should get you a pretty close cut both sides.

Reply to
HappyGilmore

I hate this cut because it is usually at the top of a fence post and the cut is above my head. Therefore the saw dust falls all over me. Use a square to extend the line to 3 surfaces of the post. Extend the blade on your circle saw to full depth. Cut along the line all the way across the post. Move to the next side and line and engage the saw blade into the previous cut and use that cut to help guide the start of the next cut. Repeat on the 3rd side.

Reply to
Leon

I have a 10" Craftsman miter saw, and it cut's a 4x4 without any issues, what size miter saw do you have?

Reply to
Locutus

Actually, you can take that idea a bit farther.

Make a "saddle" from 3/4" stock that fits pretty snug over the post. Using the top edge of the saddle as a straight edge, cut the post with a cirular saw.

The accuracy of the saddle will determine the accuracy of the cut.

A basic handsaw might be > Take your 4x4, put it on a workbench or sawhorses. Measure off and clamp 2

Reply to
Pat Barber

Circular saw and a speed square or homemade t-square guide.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Either get more accurate with your skilsaw or use a power sander on the cuts. This is sort of silly.

Reply to
Pop`

Finally some sanity. Yeah, I know there ain't no sanity clause. If the post's in the ground frst cut with a speed square and circular saw then use that cut as a guide.Just go around the post.Same thing if it's on the ground just rotate the post. Easy. Phil Brown

Reply to
Phil Brown

Thanks, for the suggestions guys. You gave me a few options to try. I think the saddle idea might be the best for my application.

By the way I'm GenX so forgive my ignorance when I ask: what's a handsaw? ;)

I think saddle and handsaw together might work the best. I have a portable band saw that might do the trick too now that I think about it.

Reply to
-

Very easy, just use a circular saw. This one:

sailor

Easy, just use a circular saw. This one:

sailor

Especially since dead square post tops are undesirable. Chamfered or sloped tops don't hold rainwater, and will last longer.

Reply to
Father Haskell

The OP never said anything about post tops...

Reply to
Locutus

Why would anyone want to cut the part that sits buried under 3 feet of concrete square?

Reply to
Father Haskell

LOL, the OP just stated he wanted to know how to cut a 4x4 post!!! Unless I missed a post somewhere, he didn't specify if it were in the ground. Considering he said he has Home Depot cut them for him, I don't imagine they are. :)

Reply to
Locutus

So you've got a Sawzall, a circ saw, a mitre saw and a portable bandsaw, and you still can't cut 4 by 4. Are you George W Bush?

Reply to
Limey Lurker