OSB ok for straight edge?

I have some old sheets of osb standing up in my shed. One side has a factory edge.

Would these be ok to use to make a jointing jig on the table saw?

Reply to
stryped

MDF 1 x 12 by 8' shelving is cheap, dead straight and flat.

MDF and OSB will both disintegrate rapidly upon exposure to moisture, plywood is a bit better and solid wood will cup and warp under similar conditions. Of the four, under perfect conditions, OSB will have the roughest most uneven surfaces and edges.

Reply to
fredfighter

If its cheap you can give it a try. Moisture is deadly. keep it up and away. learning experience. can always dissassemble parts.

For future reference, can someone tell me/us how straight factory edges really are?

And while you're at it, how square, right, dimensionally accurate.

I read somewhere not to count of this factory edge.

Reply to
bent

..........is that 12-pound-test or 16-pound-test you're using?

Reply to
Robatoy

My experience with hardboard is about 10 years old, but I doubt that quality has improved...

My brother and I used to build magazine holders for offices and used several

1/4" x 9" x 15" sections in each unit..

The sheets and pieces from the local lumber yards were so off square (which effected assembly) that we had to build our own panel saw and cut our own pieces..

Same problem with plywood in a few projects that we did about the same time.. couldn't find one 4x8' sheet with 4 square sides..

Mac

mac davis