Top-notch OSB vs. Plywood

My builder wants to use Lousiana Pacific Top-notch OSB for the subflooring in our new house. I haven't heard much about the product, can anyone shed some light (pros/cons) to using it? Thanks!

Reply to
TN

Top Notch is a premium OSB subflooring. I have alternated between Advantec and Top Notch for the past couple of years. Personally, I prefer the Top Notch product. It is very heavy, dense, and stiff. It has drainage notches in the tongue so water cannot stand on the floor during construction. And it won't need to be sanded prior to the installation of finish flooring.

Oh, by the way, it costs a lot more than plywood...

Shannon Pate

Reply to
Shannon Pate

Reply to
wormdigga

Is it common to sand the OSB before laying the finished floor?

Reply to
Jim Hunter

No, it isn't common to sand the Top Notch or Advantech lines of subflooring. But we regularly sanded seams of regular tounge and groove plywood.

Shannon Pate

Reply to
Shannon Pate

If the osb has seen a lot of water during construction than it may swell. It will then need to be sanded flat. Not common if the building is closed in a timley fasion.

Reply to
calhoun

Not to contradict, but to add, plywood will too and often worse with the layers seperating since sanding will not help. :(

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

On 08 Jan 2005 16:24:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) scribbled this interesting note: