orbital jigsaw

What is the idea behind an orbital jigsaw, does it have any advantage over a normal one?

Idea is a shallower entry angle makes a finer cut, and if you cut less material with each stroke, you cut faster. Both are demonstrated as true each time you use it.

Typically the orbital action as adjustable in 4 to 5 increments. The Zero increment produces the slowest and smoothest cut. The greater the orbital action the faster and rougher the cut. My Milwaukee set to the most aggressive orbital action will cut through a 2x4 almost as fast as my circle saw.
On the orbital setting, it cuts much more aggressively. The cut finish sucks though so it's only for roughing. Use the non orbit setting for a reasonable finish. If I didn't have the orbit feature on mine, I wouldn't miss it. All higher end jig saws seen to have it though.

Yes, smoother cut. Jim
No.

over
I am more confused now. Some are saying better for rough cuts some are saying finer cuts. I assume a normal jigsaw does not have the orbital action so am I safe to say that if I am looking for a fine finish cut there is NO advantage with an orbital saw over a regular jigsaw. Thanks

habbi wrote:

Habbi, I think you may be technically right, but practically wrong. I don't know all there is to know about all the jigsaws that may be available out there. What I do know is that every one of the better jigsaws I ever had my hands on had the orbital feature. It kind of goes with the territory. Along with orbital action comes a lot of other essential features like counterbalancing and blade guides that really work. It's usually a package deal. You may be able to find a very good saw without the orbital feature, but why?
My jigsaw lives with the orbit set to zero most of the time too. But I wouldn't dream of buying a jigsaw without it. A good jigsaw will last you many many years. You'll find all sorts of uses for it that you don't anticipate now. Don't sell yourself short by deciding you don't need a feature as handy as orbital action.
DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Love the quote! The primary effect of orbital action is that the saw cuts much faster. (I'm talking in wood, I don't cut enough metal to speak to that.) The blade advances into the cut on the upstroke and backs out on the downstroke. This makes for an aggressive cut and excellent chip-clearing. Depending on the blade, the orbital action can also create a rasping effect, giving a very smooth finish. In particular, the Bosch T101B gives an amazing cut. Definitely get the orbital action! Bruce
Bruce Adams wrote:

Why thanks, Bruce!
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."