Opinion on Delta and Ryobi

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I am looking to purchace some cordless tools in the very near future. At present I do not have any tools at all except for a few basic manual tools. :) Seeing that I will barely use the tools compared to most of you lads I figure the best way to get started would be to purchase a small combo kit. The two kits that are in my small budget are one from Ryobi and one from Delta.
DELTA http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e 6&pH75
RYOBI (NOT OFFICIAL WEBPAGE) http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1142.html
I am leaning towards the Delta simply because I do not need a flashlight and vacum. :) But I have no idea of the quality of Delta tools.
Any opinions or suggestions would be great!
Thanks in advanced.
Cheers!
Thomas wrote:

Walk by the replacement battery section as part of your decision. I didn't do this when I bought my 13.2 v drill. I need a new battery but they're hard to find and expensive.
$0.02
-- Mark
On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:09:36 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

You'll often notice that the Makita batteries are very dusty, as they've been there a while.
And this will draw some polarized response, I actually like some DeWalt cordless tools, especially drills. <G>
Barry

I have a Ryobi 14.4 drill and saw. They get light use in a home shop. After 16 months, the variable speed drill is no longer variable and the batteries do not hold a charge very long any more.
It is a nice size and weight, has enough power for my needs and worked well until recently. Things do break and wear out but I think the switch could have held up longer. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I know I've said it before but Ryobi's cordless drill switches & batteries in the last five or six years have been their biggest weaknesses especially in the Techtronic made Ryobi drills, the rest of the drill however seems to hold up quite well for the price.
--
Jon Down
NEED BLADES?

Since you mentioned it, I just ordered a new switch. With shipping it is $27.00. Cheaper than a new drill as long as the batteries continue to hold up.
Ordering over the phone is a long ordeal. Ordering on line at www.ordertree.com is faster. I called the 800 number and the recording told you about the web site. I was able to find the part number, place the order and I was still on hold. Ed
Mark, What brand of tool did you buy? Do mean Delta or Ryobi specifically?

Thomas wrote:

Black & Decker... I was young and didn't know any better. ;-)
-- Mark

Delta *usually* makes quality tools. I have some Delta tools and I have some Ryobi's. In this case, I'd follow your logic and pick the Delta set because it has more things that I'd use.
I'd set my expectations that these are going to be light to medium duty tools.

My son has the Ryobi set and he's happy with it. I've used the sawzall for trimming trees and it works great. That palm sander and brad nailer might be something to think about. I doubt if the jig saw is worth worrying about. Anyone use one of those? I guess it depends on what tools you want. I'm sure they are both good sets. The battery issue is important. I have an perfectly good Milwaukee drill that I can't get a battery for. It's like 15-18yrs. old. Is there a source for them anywhere? Ed

What model # is the drill? do you have your old battery, if so what is the part # on it? 48-11-????
--
Jon Down
My eBay items currently listed:

It's a 12 volt drill model# 0401-1 and the battery has the # 48-11-0140. The batteries I have still hold a charge but for only about ten minutes so I can't really do much with it. It ok to put in a few screws or something but that's about it. Thanks Ed

You will probably have to use the 48-11-0200 1.7Ah Super tough version of that battery unless you settle for old stock it's still the same format just a better battery when it first replaced the 1.4Ah 0140 it was only about $10 more. There is also a more recent 48-11-0250 2Ah Super tough II for about another $10 more & even a 2.5Ah fat pack for quite a bit more.
I use the 0200's daily with mine & am seeing much improved performance, I also replaced my worn motor & upgraded the chuck to a 1/2" keyless (3/8 spindle) chuck.
I have 5 batteries ( three over 5 years old 0140's still going & good for light power tool housing assembly in the shop) (one 0200 about two years old good for medium drilling & screwing) & (one new 0200 that I use for really extreme demands) the drill has been used 1-2hrs a day five days a week for five or six years in our service dept, the upgraded motor & larger chuck & new Super tough battery was well worth doing. The drill has paid for it's self ten times over.
--
Jon Down
NEED BLADES?

Delta is on the auction block. The parent company is going to shed it and go with water pumps. One of the major lookers at the PorterCable, Delta, Rockwell line is Ryobi.

funny. wasn't delta a water meter manufacturer before they made tools?
full circle....
If you are not going to use it a lot, look at Makita, they offer Nickel-metal hydride batteries.
Otherwise- delta.
-Dan V.
On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:54:11 -0400, "Thomas"

I had a Ryobi 12v cordless drill. I now have a Delta 6 pack. I have been using the six pack heavily for the last 3 weeks in a remodeling project. I'm very happy with it. John
Thanks for the feedback.
From what I gather the Delta is the set I will choose seeing that:
1) battery recharge time is shorter (it has a 1 hour quick charge) 2) I do not need a vacum or flashlight (which the Ryobi has :) ) 3) Seeing that I am just starting out the amount of work these tools will see is limited which hopefully means they will last a bit longer.
Question: When recharging the battery should I remove the battery from the charger when its done? Or can I simply leave it in there for a long time. I may not have to use the battery for weeks etc.

Think it will depend on the sophistication of the charger. For my Craftsmans drills, the answer would have been "No, remove it." When those died and I switch to Milwaukee - the answer is "Yes, go ahead and leave it in the charger."