online woodworking tool shop in Europe- getting a scrollsaw

I´ve been looking for a suitable scrollsaw for a hobby user and have been recommended the Delta SS350LS. There is also an older version called 40-570, which seem to be available here in my country, Finland, but I´d like the newer one with the stand that comes with it. Also been looking at those expensive Hegner scrollsaws.

The problem is, that the Delta SS350LS is not sold over here, only the discontiued 40-570 without any stand whatsoever. The price for this is 330 euros ($410). That´s kind of much, considering that you guys in the States get a DeWalt 788 including a stand for that amount of cash.

I know the DeWalt 788 is one that is usually recommended, but I have asked the factory and they do not make a model for the European market with the required 230Volt motor. The Delta 40-570 has a European version, not sure if there is one of the newer SS350LS that I´d like.

The Hegner scrollsaws are of course available for the European market and electricity specifications, being an Austrian product, but prices here in Finland for even the smallest one is about 600 euros and it doesn´t take a blade quickchange set at all. The bigger ones do, but then prices goes to more than 1300 euros and that´s without electronic speed control, you have to buy separately the speed control, quickchange blade holder and stand.

So, back to the subject:

Is there an online woodworking tool shop somewhere in Europe with reasonable prices? Preferably one that carries the Delta scrollsaws and/or Hegner ones?

I´m thankful for any tips and comments.

Sincerely, Ken Finland

Reply to
Ken

Would it be cost effective to purchase a voltage converter and use a product made for the US market? A quick search shows 230V/110V-5000 watt converters running around $100 US.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Unless it's DC, you run up against the 50Hz business as well. Believe 60 to

50 is the acceptable direction, though.
Reply to
George

Unless your trying to run a clock the frequency difference shouldn't matter (although a motor would run slower). The converters are designed for international travelers, allowing them to use their US made products overseas.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Well, cooling issues, centrifugal switches and such count, but I'll take your word for it.

Reply to
George

I´ve been thinking of a converter. But the scrollsaw would anyway need to be for the European market, so that I could get it repaired in case it brakes, the guarantee issue.

Still, the prices are so steep here in Finland, that I started contemplating buying one from a web shop, a scrollsaw for the European market, but maybe for a more affordable price from somewhere in Germany, the U.K., Estonia...?

I´ve done some google searches for woodworking tools & machinery web shops somewhere in Europe, but I mostly get hits from the U.S.A., you seem to have a lot of woodworking shops over there, good for you!

I don´t know of any web shops here in Europe specializing in this branch, maybe someone has had some experience on some web shop, if so, I´d be very happy to hear your comments too.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

From what I have read on other forums, the EU has large import VAT taxes, and Import Taxes, and so forth, that add almost 50% to 70% the cost of products. What I find shocking, is sometimes, if the products are made in Eastern Europe (but still part of EU), but sold in North America and sent back to the EU, they still add those huge taxes.

Anyway I suggest you post your question to a scroll saw forum that has other EU members, like

(This is a sponsored site by a SS hobby magazine.)

There are a few scroll saw makers in England that make fine SS at a middle of the road cost, and which are completely unknown in USA or Canada.

If the best SS blades are Swiss made, Germany made, and such, I, at least, would expect that a few tools that use such fine blades would be made in Europe.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Personally I would get a saw from the USA, and buy one of these:

should be sufficient for a scroll saw.

You can also find some stuff here:

it's called a fretsaw in England). But for some reason it is expensive to get larger items shipped from England (sometimes lower shipping costs from the USA...).

Have a look here also:

Jan Egil Sjås

Be careful about a voltage converter. They only convert the voltage not the frequency. Many US 110V items, especially those with electric motors will not operate properly solely with a converter. . US frequency is 60Hz while Euro is 50Hz. Besides possible damage to an electrical circuit, at the least your motor will run 5/6 as fast as it would in the US. Check the specifications of the item you want to convert, if the data plate says it will work on 110VAC at 50/60Hz you are ok(with the converter) but if it only says 60hz then stay clear unless you want to take the chance on ruining or shortening the unit life. I spent 3 years in Germany and ran many electrical appliances successfully through converters, but never took the chance on those that weren't rated for it. My 2 cents FWIW, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Only if you are running an induction motor. With a universal motor (the type with brushes) it should not be a problem. Smaller powertools are normally equipped with universal motors. AFAIK their speed depends on the voltage and not the frequency (they can even run on DC).

JES

Reply to
Jan Egil Sjås