one-on-one or two woodworking classes

Over the winter as our school's classes slow down I am offering special classes for one or two students at a time. If you would like to build a piece of furniture, do a woodworking project, or a workbench and would like someone to help and guide you through the process this would be a perfect match. Please take a look at my web site and if you have any questions or special needs and suggestions, please just give me an email. I would be glad to help. I assure you that I do not intend to spam, just trying to make a living doing something that I love. your friend at American Sycamore, Mike snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com

Mike at American Sycamore

Looks good. But maybe next year, my budget is blown this year....

I'm especially interested in the Green & Green joinery workshop, the router workshop, and the Attention to Fine Details Workshop.

The "coffin building workshop" is a little disturbing. Would I build one for myself or somebody I love? Not a very pleasant thought either way.

What's the sales pitch of your school over the Rosewood studio or any of the schools in Maine?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

It is disturbing if you don't die as it would be a waste of good wood.

I've thought about building one as a curio cabinet. When the time comes, just pop out the shelves and put in the pillow. Off you go! Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It might be neat to make one into a standing bar replete with alcohol. When my time came, I'd leave instructions to take out all the booze, bury me in it and then distribute all the alcohol at a wake.

Reply to
Upscale

Sure wish you guys would head west... Ain't much out here in the Rockies in the way of these schools. Would love to attend, but travellings out for now.

Hmmm - didcha' know there's Gold in these hills? (Maybe that'll motivate someone.)

Woodworking? Teaching? or Teaching Woodworking? In any case, we students are thankful!

Reply to
patrick conroy

My wife wants me to make her one, so she can use it as a coffee table (she's a big horror movie buff)

Reply to
Prometheus

Hey thanks for the comments!!! Hope to see you in class somtime!! No sales pitch, it is just a wonderful place to spend a week doing something that you love. You will learn, eat well, and go home with a nice pice of furniture. Today was day one in the "coffin" class. Most students are really into Halloween or want an unique bookcase or coffee table. Kind of a conversation piece you might say. Building a coffin is really kind of fun and we try to keep it light hearted. Instead of pine most students choose cherry and they are building a fine piece of furniture. Who knows what makes the world go round!!

Having fun at American Sycamore, Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

patrick conroy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

folks seem pretty competent...

Reply to
patriarch

Hey Patrick:

My first two states for students to come to our school is California and New York state. I have more students from California than I do from Indiana ......go figure?

take care and happy woodowrking....if I can figure it out I will try to post some pictures from the casket class!!! Mike from American Sycamore

Mike at American Sycamore

I suspect they are competent. I know one of the instructors (Harv) and he definitely is competent. Anderson Ranch is a bit expensive, though. I always think "How many tools could I buy with that money?"

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Yep. But I hadn't checked their website in over a year. Still heavy into Turning, but I see they've made a run at a furniture making class or two.

Snowmass is a nice place.

And after reading this snippet:

"Techniques: This workshop will provide an introduction to hand tools, tuning them up and using them ? not worshipping them. Power tools will not be used in this class with the possible exception of a band saw or drill press. "

Sounds like a cool place to hang out too.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Right, you could buy lots of tools with the money spent for a first-class course.

However, I would not trade my experience with a school (Marc Adams) for any tool. A good class can quickly make up for years of experience and dramatically raise your level of craftsmanship. Not many tools can do that.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Knepper

Hey Patrick:

Last season I had more students from California than I did from Indiana. I have several students from California that have been here every year since we opened. You know the old saying about whoever came the farest must be the expert? Go figure. Thanks and happy woodworking to all.

Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore