On the level

Page 3 of 4
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:49:23 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

Gee, I'd have put the water in the TUB, not on the floor, J. No wonder things went wonky on ya.
-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Good point. An unlevel toilet would be bothersome though... the reasons why could probably make David Letterman's top 10 list... : )
<not even going to sign my name>

Don't all bathtubs and shower pans have the slope built into the design such that when the fixture is installed correctly (level) they drain properly?
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:17:55 -0800, the infamous Mike M

I distinctly heard the click. The line feeding out is probably too quiet to hear over the Internet.
-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Out of all of the posts to this tread, this is the one you chose to reply to? I was hoping to read something interesting. If you want to chase the fish, you should probably choose one less piscatorially-oriented who can't tie a royal coachman with the same ease with which you tie your shoes.... Maybe you should stick to music? Repeat at Cod(a)?
Bill

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:34:30 -0500, the infamous "Bill"

Y'mean "thread"?

Actually, we weren't referring to fish. Clues are for sale at...Oh, never mind.
P.S: I tie my tennies loosely so I can don them like slip-ons. My laces are stitched so they don't come undone, as they were wont to. Ta!
-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------
I use a level once in a while, but usually do it with a laser line projector.. I think I paid $10 for it at Harbor Freight.. Just set it on a surface with it projecting a line, set the screws until it's level and line the shelf or whatever up with it.. Very handy as a "3rd hand"..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I use those Black and Decker Laser Level things. They work reasonably well.
Where I need more than one fastener to hang something, I will mark (and drive a finish nail temporarily) or position the first fastener and lay the (ordinary 4' level) upon it to locate the next fastener - repeating as necessary. Then, using a line between the first and last marks, "measure twice" or double check my work.

I like mine too. It's great for hanging pictures or towel rods. The pin is enough to hang the thing and doesn't completely mess up the sheetrock.

Since I got the B&D laser thingy I haven't used a level on finished walls.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

Simpler and more precise: Use 1x board that is a bit longer than the distance between the two end fasteners, hold board up to piece to be hung, transfer/mark fastener positions to board, level board on the wall, transfer marks off board to wall.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Or mark on the level if you can ...
First rule of accuracy and efficiency in hanging "stuff" on walls is to never measure when you can mark.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Yep

Nice idea. What's a good way when the distance is 30 feet or so (for instance if you were building two structures that you wanted to "match")? Guess that's when it's time for one of those laser levels, no?
Bill
Bill wrote:

I have three laser levels, none of which I would usually bother to take out to "hang something" on the wall, unless, of course, it was a row of kitchen cabinets ...
So yep ... they do come in handy. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Bill wrote:

String with a level hung on it will come pretty close--probably be as accurate as a cheap laser level--if you want to be precise use a garden hose and a couple of lengths of clear vinyl tubing stuck into the ends of it

Good idea!
--if you want to be precise use a garden hose

Priceless! :::a few claps directed your way::: Look me a few minutes to figure it out! The water levels at each end will always match! : ) A lot of potential there: Pound two stakes into the ground, attach the ends of the hose to the stakes, fill with water, and mark the levels. A beautiful solution, IMO. Where did you learn that trick?
Bill

Water levels have been around for ever.

I guess there's not enough markup on them to make them popular...
"CW" wrote:

For less than $20, Home Depot will gladly sell you a 9VDC battery operated unit made in San Diego.
A bottle of red food coloring, some water, and you are good to go.
Lew
Bill wrote:

Too easy to make ... all you need is some clear plastic tubing and water. Still, they are more accurate than any other level, including lasers.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08