Omnijig through dovetail help needed

I cut my first through dovetails today, and have someproblems.
1) They are a bit tight on the inside and required a hammer to assemble. (Yes, I know to move the template in a bit to loosen) However, on the outside there is a gap that I can get my finger nail into without any trouble. Is this normal? If not, all I can figure is that the dovetail bit is slightly less than 14 degrees. Any other thoughts? (Yes, I tried it again with the same results)
2) Cutting the pins requires removing a lot of wood with a small bit. Is there a practical alternative, like routing the outline and cutting the rest away with a saw?
Thanks.
toller wrote:

assemble.
the
dovetail bit

it
Is
the rest

Sounds like your router bit and template guide is not perfectly centered in the router. I use a "know Bit" from WoodCraft to center everything up. Yes you can use a larger straight bit and a larger template guide and waste some material out. Good luck Mike from American Sycamore

As long as I don't rotate the router I can't see why being off center would matter. What it cuts too thin on one side it will cut too thick on the other. Am I missing something? Thanks.