Oliver 159 Capabilities

Hello
I am thinking about getting one of these lathes, and was wondering, with a riser, what people felt would be the maximum size/weight bowl one could safely turn with it. Is 16"/40 lbs too much?
Speed is not an issue, as I will use a VFD.
TIA
John

Speed and safety are individual issues. If you think it's too fast - slow it. If you think it's too heavy, lighten it.
Mechanical strength is an absolute issue. Too much of a load and you bend or break things.
It'll do 16, but the shaft size is skosh for big wet ones and the banjo is too weak, with the longer toolrest shaft installed, to take much of a hit from a carelessly placed gouge.
Thanks George.
By skosh, do you mean "marginal"?
John