Old subject - Biscuit joiners

Page 1 of 2

I was perusing the many threads in the archives on biscuit joiners. I don't expect that my needs for one would justify a top-end unit, but accuracy is always a requirement.
Now, depending on which review you read, you can't get a good biscuit joiner for under $200. Oh man, pul-leeeze tell me that isn't true!
Amazon has the Dewalt DW682K joiner for $150. That's about as much as I would like to pay for one (though if necessary, I'll pay what I have to so as to ensure that I get something I like).
The reviews on Amazon for the Dewalt range from GREAT to AWFUL. That figures. But the bulk of reviews are quite positive.
If you own a Dewalt, would you give me your critique of it?
And if possible, can anyone recommend a good solid joiner - one for casual use - that is accurate and costs less than the Dewalt?
Thanks!
Jack
I have the dewalt and I think its great, IMO, others may say different but I like mine..............Brian
-- www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas "Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People In Large Groups!" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

Doubt anyone on here would say that the Dewalt is anything less than a good tool. The reviews you get on Amazon are questionable. I have the Dewalt and am quite happy with it. Easy to use, easy to adjust, accurate. I did a fair amount of research before buying this one and found that the less expensive ones out there, while adequate, were somewhat lacking to the point that one might very well upgrade later on. It's cheaper in the long run to buy the good one right off. I got mine at Lowes for $130.00 on sale. You might want to also look at places like Tool King. They sell factory reconditioned tools at a substantial savings.

If you're looking for low price, our favorite online auction site has one now for less than $45 "buy-it-now". . . . . . . The $83 shipping charge doesn't count, right? (item # 5992981757 )

Yeah, I love how some of those ebay sellers rake you over the coals for shipping and .. uh .. handling. Yep. Handling my a**.
I always check the S&H and "almost always" that's prevents me from buying from them. But some sellers do in fact give pretty damn good deals, even with a high S&H.
But $83 to ship a joiner? DUH
Jack
Bruce Adams wrote:

I like mine a LOT! Of course, before I got it I was using the Sears Bis-Kit piece of crap. Hooking a vac to the dust port works phenomenally well. I even do that when I'm working outside so I don't have to sweep up. Bruce "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in

The DeWalt unit is just fine. In heavy homeowner use, mine has held up to maybe 750 biscuits over 3 years. ;-) How many are you going to do?
$50 more buys the Porter Cable, and the potential to do FF (smaller than 0) biscuits.
You're going to need red clamps and/or a brad nailer, too. And a plaid shirt.
Patriarch
I have the Dewalt and like it fine. Have had it for about 8 yrs. I got the Ryobi (Sears also sells it) small biscuit jointer for picture fames and the like. I felt that the larger face frame biscuits were still too large for the really small requirements. The Ryobi is not nearly as versatile, but it does what it needs to do just fine.

Oooooh, man, that's low. Subtle, but low. :)
I have owned a Dewalt for about six years and couldn't be happier. I have looked at newer ones in the store but differences do not appear to be substantial. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
RonB
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I bought a Lamello Classic to replace my stolen Lamello 'Top'. A while ago, I had the opportunity to play with the PC 557. I quite liked it. It felt and performed well enough, IMHO, that I may have spent too much on the Lamello.... although the Classic is a wonderful tool. The DeWalt, OTOH, feels clunky to me. The DeWalt appears identical to the Elu way back when and in my shop, one of the guys had problems with the 'flatness' of his base. The lips on the base, pointing towards the back/motor, are very thin and bend easily. I was completely underwhelmed by it. I think the DeWalt will probably work out fine if you never drop it.

I've never bought a tool on the basis of how well it will stand up if I drop it. I don't drop them.

Now... you shouldn't have said that...<G>
Robatoy wrote:

Yea, ask my PC router...........which now needs a new base....*SIGH*

Yup. I didn't quite lift my foot up high enough and snagged the cord. Pulled the router off the bench. old style 4.2" router base... bent. Stoopid money to replace. Shit happens.
I have a King (King Machinery / King Industrial ) biscuit cutter. I do not use it alot. I have not had accuracy problems. It was inexpensive - $99 cdn, and along with a book on biscuits - I have have been able to make simple jigs (platforms really) to overcome common accuracy issues and design differences between the various brands. I use mine for making simple cabinets, drawers, boxes, and glue-ups of boards for wide surfaces.
I have found that biscuits can simplify design and construction of many projects, that I often consider if it can be used in most things I do. If I were buying again, one item I would look for is one that can do super tiny / mini (? 00) biscuits, since many of my projects are small and of thin stock, - also this size would be very helpful in miters.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

For "causal use" you might as well just buy a biscuit-slot router bit (set) and save a load of $.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I thought of that but no way to use that for T joints. Serious limitation.

Yes, but it's easily solved with your jigsaw or zipsaw by simply cutting a hole in the casing so your router can fit though it. :-)

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

I bought a (ssssshhhhhh) Sears Biscuit attachment a few years ago. It attaches to a small side grinder. Not the most elegant thing you have ever seen, but for $50 it gets the job done. I have done about 5 boxes of with it and have never had a problem with it. Mind ya, I do pretty much edge jointing and 90's with it, no 45 angles. It has killed one cheap grinder motor so far, but that was the grinders fault.
Not real relevant to the DW, but I would think most anything would be an improvement over what I have. If I had my choice, it would be the PC or DW. And, if I were into the business side, the only choice would be the Lamello.