Old craftsman bandsaw

I have an old craftsman bandsaw. I installed a new blade and would like to resaw some lumber. When I start to cut, the unit bogs down to a stop. Could it be the motor needs replacement? If so, any suggestions on where I can get a suitable replacement?
In rec.woodworking

Does the motor stop turning or the blade slips? If it stops turning it could need replacement but electric motors don't usually lose power like that. Usually, they either work or they don't. I guess the bearings could be creating excess drag but I'd expect you to hear them squeaking. How many HP is it? Maybe you don't have enough power or a very dull blade and are having to push too hard.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) writes:

[...]
Or a sharp blade but mounted the wrong way so you try to cut with the backs of the teeth...
The blade is in properly and it is a 1/2" new blade. I checked in the manual and it seems like everything is proper. I am not sure what HP the motor is, I will look when I get home. The motor just bogs down and quits, I have to backup the piece and start again. I think the motor just doesnt have enough power for resawing. Could I just replace the motor with a bigger motor?
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

In rec.woodworking

I'm sure you know the manufacturer doesn't recommend you put a bigger motor on. That said, I've considered doing exactly that for my table saw and I'm not worried about it at all.
I have resawn 6" walnut and 9" hard maple with my 14" Go555 Grizzly and I don't believe I could bog it if I wanted too. I've pushed very hard just to see and it didn't bog, just started cutting crooked. I let the blade do the work.

which saw is it? I have the parks/craftsman 18" saw.
http://files.owwm.com/PDF/Parks/18BS-Operation.pdf
it's pretty good. if yours is the same I may be able to help you with it.     Bridger
You need to mount a 2 to 3 tooth per inch resaw blade.

Could
get
My thoughts as well, Tony D.

Rob-J wrote:

My Griz 14" started doing the same. It was the motor drive belt. Tightened it up and it works dandy again.
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

Could
get
Rob-J wrote:

Yep. It will also split as big a log as I can get in it. I have the riser kit. I made a circle cutting jig and routinely cut bowl turning blanks out of log halves with no problem.