Old butcher block for workbench top?

Hello,

I may have a chance to get some old butcher block that's being removed from a restaurant remodel. The plan is to use it for a workbench top. Any reason to be concerned about it from a health standpoint, considering how it has been used? My thought was to scrub it down with a water and bleach solution, then have it planed in order to both clean and true it up. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

I'd imagine it would be relatively safe once you have implemented those measures you speak of. Bleach kills just about everything! including the HIV virus believe it or not.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski, RN. BNurs. QUT, PGCert(CCU) Editor, Computer Pilot Magazine. The Monthly Magazine for Desktop Pilots & Flight Simulation Enthusiasts

Aviator - The Flight Simulation Company Providing Flight Simulation Hardware & Software for Over 12 Years!
(Australasian Customers)
(U.S., Canadian and International Customers)

Reply to
Woodman

Yep, bleach should be sufficient. Believe it or not it works best if it is diluted and not used full strength. As for planing, no need. Simply turn the block over. I guarantee that no one has been chopping on the underside.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Even assuming it's full of whatever it's full of, then it's going to be safer as a workbench than it would have been to leave it in the restaurant kitchen. Give it a good bleaching if you want to, by all means.

Will you need to flatten it ? Sounds like a good excuse to buy a big L-N low-angle butcher-block flattening iron 8-)

How big is this thing ? I've seen butcher blocks in kitchens, but never one big enough to use as a benchtop.

Andy Dingley

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Professional butcher blocks can be quite large.They weigh a ton too

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling