OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 6 of 16
Tim Douglass wrote:

I think Monsanto (makers of Roundup) is responsible for all this. Ustabe you could just pour a little oil around your driveway to kill the weeds, and maybe light a match for the stubborn ones. Not any more. Now the spotted hoobajooba fish will go extinct if you return a product that came out of the ground back whence it came. :)
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:01:28 -0500, Silvan

Or into the storm drain at the end of the driveway... Not that that's what my father taught me to do all those years ago...
And no, I DON'T still do that...
-Keith

I'm updating my FreeBSD ports tree at the moment...

Yup. I don't screw around with my computers at home nearly as much as I used to, I'd rather spend time with the family or in the workshops.
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

It just ain't fun anymore.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Silvan wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Computers - making them, playing with 'em, learning OS's used to be fun. As they got more Windozed and fancier they became less fun. What a loss.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

No problem here. I have computers going back to 1980, all working, 6 oldies in all. Even an old Mac. I collect software on Ebay and as an ole long time pirate myself I have thousands of programs for them.:) It's great fun to fire them up.
Gino wrote:

I just got rid of a bunch of old stuff. Lunch boxes thru Zenith 286s and the software from DOS 1.05 thru Win 95 upgrade to 98. About 10 DMPs and some old BJs. You shoulda seen my curb. Piles of old books as well.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I have the most fun with old 'home' computers. TI994a, Commodore 64, and the portable Tandy 102 are a blast.

I'd love to get my hands on an old C64 portable. Wish I'd never lost track of the original.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I've got a Vic-20, you want it?
Dave

Not really, it was the neat gray, rectangular cased C64 portable that was so much fun, you could take it anywhere and play games on the built in 4" monitor. Of course now days I can't even *see* a 4" monitor, let along anything on it.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

You're not alone. I still have my O-1 and have exactly the same problem.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I *do* still have an O-1. I had forgotten about that one. I actually built a printer interface for the edge connector and wrote the OS (CP/M) extensions to drive the printer in its various modes. That thing was a brute, but it got me through college. At one time I very seriously considered adding a hard drive to it - $4,000 for a 5 megabyte drive. It seems a bit more reasonable when you consider that a floppy only held 185K IIRC.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote: snip

180K
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

I was thinking 160K. Hrm.
144Kb though Micro$oft had a way of packing a bit more onto them when they shipped Winders Fer WerkGroops....
HOWEVER.... I can still vaguely recall single side, low density that couldn't hold what is now a smallish *,gif....
While we're at it... how many can remember when a 44Meg HDD was HUGE!!!

I have a luggable with a 10 meg HD. The purchase price of the computer new was about 20 grand. I weighs about 38 pounds and the last time I plugged it in 5 years ago it still worked. Now I'm having the urge to haul it out of the shed and plug it in.:)

Jim Warman wrote:

My first hard drive (attached to an IMSAI 8080) was an IBM 2311 with only 7MB. The second was a 10MB drive in a Morrow MD-11.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Damn newbies...
Dave Hinz wrote:

/clever rejoinder mode/ Oh Yeah??!! /crm off/ My first disk had 2K 24 bit words. It was also the RAM. Cycle time of 0.01 sec. Verdan computer, manufacture by Autonetics and the flight computer for the Hound Dog cruise missile. Gronk.     hail to the geezers,     jo4hn