OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Page 5 of 16
Dave Hinz wrote:

About 3 minutes after cutting a new extension cord to wire up a 4' light fixture in my shop I realized I could have used any one of about 20 spare computer cords... Ah well, it's just money...
-- Mark

Mark. I have to wire in about a half-dozen light fixtures in (guess where) my shop, and you just answered a question for me. Thanks for pointing out what I should have been able to see. Seriously, I was going to hardwire them but the boxes I hung are for outlets, so it wasn't going anywhere.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Glad I could help. ;-) Every time I turn on the lights and see that wasted extension cord I think, "dumba**".
-- Mark

I use the old cords, because it's easier than crawling under the desk to run the functionally equivalent new ones. But it takes quite a pile of the new ones building up, before I toss them out.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Yeah, me too, now that you mention it. I think I'm still using the cord from my original 286-12.
Though that's really not all *that* surprising. I used to actually upgrade computers, and I had the same power supply for yearrrrrs. It wasn't until the switch to ATX, and the incredible cheapness of new computers that I started getting lazy. Upgrading is a PITA keeping up with what class of this works with what type of that, and I don't bother anymore. I bought my last two computer pre-assembled. Wuss.

Tuning handplanes is the badge of honor amongst these fellows. Preassembled computers that upgrade their own software, and handplanes that were old when our fathers were born. Saws & chisels, too, if we can find them.
I pick my battles these days.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Cute story. I was showing my son my type 11 #4 today for some reason or other... I old him it was made in about 1905, which was actually 10 years off, oops, but I didn't bother to correct myself later. He nodded, went on about his business for a moment, and then his eyes bugged when it dawned on him what I had just said. I was off, yes, but it's still pretty close to 100 years old. Possibly older than my grandfather, or at least the same age.
I'm afraid the plane will outlast him. :(

It's not even that in my case, really. I'm a Geek after all. It's just not fun anymore. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. When will my new computer be ready?
I'm thinking about taking my car to a quickie lube place too. Wuss.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:01:17 -0500, Silvan

Still build the computers, but there is no way I'm doing anything but the most minor of service on the car - mostly because I've already got several 5 gallon pails of used oil lying around. I never seem to get around to putting it into 1 gallon jugs and taking it down to the recycling depot. All the other recycling is either curbside pickup or at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the far side of town.
Not worth it.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Take it to the TLE at Wal-Mart. They'll dispose of it for ya!
wrote:

not
Tim Douglass wrote:

I just did it, FINALLY, when one of my jugs sprung a leak somehow and got oil all over the place.
I have no idea how much liquid one of those cat litter jugs hold, but I'd say 1.5 to 2 gallons, probably. I had about 30 of them. It took me half the day to pour all of them into the hole.

Yeah, can't just pour it on the driveway anymore.
Um. Not that I ever did that.

At least here in western NY, any place that sells oil in quantity is required by law to accept used oil for recycling. Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Tractor Supply, etc. I think Wal-Mart is too, but I'm not sure.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Probably the same here, but the recycling center is closer. All of them are less convenient than stuffing yet another jug of oil into the shed to deal with later. :)

Our town picks up oil with the recycling. Problem is, the geniuses that set up the program made a two quart per week limit. The average oil change takes how many quarts?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

That 104 quarts a year. That about 20 oil changes.:)

Sure, but you have to keep the other two quarts around another week rather than safely dispose of them. Does not make sense. A limit per month may be more practical to keep the commercial guys from using the "free" service.

But then the drivers would have to keep records. I use 2/4 liter milk jugs for my oil.
Get yourself an old chest freezer, cover the outside with some nice cedar boards and a nice sturdy wood top. Place in yard. Now you have instant workbench and lockable storage outside your home, and it looks great as well.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Two QUART per week limit? What, do the town planners all drive to work on lawn mowers? :)
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Some do, but it has to be in containers no larger than one gallon and clearly labeled "used oil". I'm too unorganized to round up 20 gallon jugs and don't have the time or patience to deal with it. So for now I go to jiffy lube and try to ignore those 5 gal. pails in the shed.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Zone,
We can take in whatever container we have and pour it into their tank.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:01:28 -0500, Silvan

Nope. No sir! Not me either, never! Not even when I lived on the farm. Wouldn't want to disturb the environment of the barn lot, you know. ;-)
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com