OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

Now I'll 'fess up. My SS is an old(very) 10ER that was my stepfathers, new circa 1950, that was passed around the family a little bit, then I got it. Motor burned out, I replaced it with a freebie from SIL. Basically, I use it as DP, with an occasional foray into a little turning, and once in a while the 12" disc sander.

Buy one? No way!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Haven't seen it, no...we only have a small catalog store here which is mostly appliances, etc., so don't see most of that kind of thingy...thank goodness! :)

Re media cost for the detail sander, I'm not really sure...shouldn't make it sound as though she's a full-time pro, particularly since we're now back on the farm she's busy enough w/ other stuff. She did resell stuff w/ a couple of friends in TN in a small shop and was pretty regular w/ it at the time...but, that was her thing so I never actually bought any media for it myself...

I did use it while painting the house to get into the corners of some window sills where I had to do some repair/patching on...w/ the coarsest pad she had it took the epoxy filler down to a paintable surface fairly quickly w/ less effort than I was expending by hand although still had to finish the very corners w/ the sharp chisel trick...

It's not indispensible nor wonderful, but does have some specialized uses imo...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That just ain't right. Exhaust systems are supposed to be taken off with a combination of cutting torches and 4 inch grinders. It says so right in the Bible. You are wrong Gino, just plane wrong...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sigh..... this one's going to take a while. Gino... listen to me. I know these things. Torches. Torches, Gino. They look really cool when they're parked over in the corner, and you don't have to worry about tiny spaces. With torches you can make spaces big enough to comfortably work in.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yep. You have to be VERY careful about grain direction, since with no mouth, this "plane" will split off more than you wanted pretty quickly. And the grain direction on a corner can be tricky, particularly when the grain on each adjacent surface is sloping in opposite directions.

Never noticed that. But getting the right angle can be somewhat tricky.

Easier yet, a block plane set for very fine cut, with very tight mouth. Three or four passes at different angles gives you as rounded an edge as you could ask for. (At least to these over-40 eyes, an

1/16" octagon is close enough to a 1/16" diameter circle.)
Reply to
alexy

B+D Electric Brad Nailer. Stanley 55. Delta POS Wet and Dry Sharpening Station.

1974 C10 Chevy. Electric Socks. PC Profile Sander. B+D Spray Gun (w/ tire inflator). Electric Gloves. Minwax Touchup Kit. PolyShades. TOH Magazine. Progressive Lense Eyeglasses. Any reference book with "All About..." in the title. Any book with "The Complete Guide To..." in the title. Any article with "The Ultimate..." in the title. Electric Hat. AOL. CTX Laptop. Freud Carving Set. Penco Guitar. Anything sold by Ron Popeil (sp?) Anything that says "Not Available In Stores!". Religions that advertise in the backs of magazines. Electric Ties.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I use the different size drum sanders often enough to keep my dremel/sears "lil crafty" hanging over the bench.. nice when you want a hole or opening just a bit bigger or need to debur something..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Fun list. And shows very well that what is useful for one person may be useless for another who works in a different style.

Mine are two that many here probably love:

My 6" jointer. Maybe I need someone to come help me with setup or teach me how to feed wood to get good results, but I find I get much better results, and more quickly and enjoyably with my old #8. If the wood is badly twisted, cupped or bowed, I may use the jointer instead of my scrub plane and #5 to get it close before bringing out the #8.

My PC plunge router. Nothing philosophical here. I know that a router can be useful, particularly mounted in my table. But I find that FOR ME, I hardly ever use it. It has pretty much sat in its box since I got a great deal on it a year ago when HD was closing them out.

Reply to
alexy

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:23:12 -0600, Duane Bozarth calmly ranted:

Newp, it's a 7447, a primarily plastic 3x21" beastie. Balance? Bwahahahahah!

Check over on rec.crafts.metalworking. Maybe someone there is bored to tears and will make them for you to fend off the boredom. ;)

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I love those. But they are costly little suckers as well. I bought 3 kits boxed in nice wood cases just to get the 8 cutoff wheels in each. The 80 piece kit was cheaper than buying the 8 disks alone.

Reply to
Gino

My SO doesn't allow me to play with fire since the time I lit up the neighbors fence while killing weeds with a tiger torch.

Reply to
Gino

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:35:51 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Ditto my first hand plane. It was a jewel from India via the HF store. I hated that thing for years until I learned to Scary Sharp(tm) it. It was my first practice iron for the process and I'll be damned if it didn't teach me how to perfect the technique. After that, I used it a few times, primarily for taking paint off doors and such. It's a great toolbox plane and needs to be sharpened after each use, but I wouldn't abuse my other fine planes to the crap I use this one for. (Y'know, door trimming, nail finding, the occasional hammer, that kind of stuff.) It is, however, the only -new- iron plane I've ever bought. All the rest are wood or old arn. No aloonimum or plastic, please.

Ah, yes. The venerable Crapsman routah table. I need to sell mine. I have no idea why I didn't leave it in the garage at the last house. Alyouminium top, sheetmetal legs, and not drilled for my B&D routah pattern. Hey, I know: I'll put it on Ebay and MAKE A MILLION!

My cheap Delta scrollsaw is a close second to this plane for most

My B&D jigsaur is a close second to the belt sanduh.

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:12:24 GMT, "Bullwinkle J. Moose" calmly ranted:

Only if it entailed a trip to the ER and you have pics of the nurse's reaction to WHERE the fishhook stuck you.

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:37:12 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman" calmly ranted:

A couple of my friends have been teaching me that lesson. They refer to the tools/etc. I own as "sunk costs". You've already paid it and you'll never get that back. Anything you get for it is money in your pocket, so just DO it! On the shelf, unused, it's worth nothing, as you stated.

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:56:29 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Have the local Goodwill and Salivation Army stores keep an eye on a Hoover vac for you. It'll be under $50 and they can nearly suck chrome off a doorknob. they're a good investment, and some come with the original $1,200 worth of attachments, like a carpet shampooer, car washer, house painter, etc.

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, what is it with us people and cutting off cords from stuff when we toss them? Have any of us actually _used_ one of these cords? I also have a rack of hanging cords, the NEMA-standard computer plug type cords, because every time I toss something I keep the cord. Yet, new purchases always come with a new cord. What the hell am I (are we) thinking?

Ah. Thanks, I'll try that the next time I excavate the shop down to where it might be.

Of course not. That Simply Isn't Done. Which explains my shop.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The roller-hollow-handle type, or the "buzz to make your whole arm numb" type? (got both).

Maybe it does. If you get the paint watered down _just right_ (that v-shaped drip stick vs. time thing), it doesn't suck, but the spray pattern is horrible. Compressed air and a good Binks is the way to go.

I just noticed what that actually says.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, I think those are stipulated to be useless before you buy them. I _think_ the topic here is things which were surprisingly useless?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Wanna share your story here, Larry?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm gonna play the "take back b0rken sockets" game in the next week or so. Someone _gave_ me a 5-gallon pail, half full of "my asshole brother's tools". There are sockets in there that are split, some smushed (how the hell do you smush a socket?), and a ton of duplicates to what I already have, but enough new ones to be nice. I'm not sure what they'll say about the collection of crap, but I'm going to try it.

Anyone heard of a socket exchange, so I can turn these duplicates into sizes I don't have but need?

Reply to
Dave Hinz