Office furniture edgebanding (PVC, T-profile)?

I want to make a desk with a laminate top and treat the edge similar to what you see on office furniture. It's surprisingly hard to find. I've turned up a few suppliers from old rec.woodworking posts:

(a manufacturer?)

The T-profile mouldings sold by Outwater Plastics are pretty straightforward. Cut a slot with a router and push it in.

I'm curious about the PVC products. Are those just applied like laminate and trimmed/rouneded with a router? Is it practical do to this for a few desks or are there specialized tools required?

(I know wood is a perfectly good edge treatment too, but the end user does not want wood and given the curves I'm not inclined to argue!)

Reply to
Ben Jackson

Woodworkers hardware

has it (t-edging) and a couple other alternatives, and even Rockler's has it (t-molding)

I've used it on some utility shop stuff. If you need to bend a tight radius, you may have to notch the pronged part in the area of the curve. If you do that, it will bend a tight radius.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

tricks to that stuff. Make sure the slot is not too tight. You don't want the insertion to widen/split the edge. Also, make sure the T-moulding slot is set just a wee bit high, so that the edge peeks out a little bit from the top. 1/64 th if you can get it, 1/32 if you must. But not below the surface. Take a very sharp chisel and trim the excess...the word is SHARP. Approach with the chisel leaned back on the laminate as a guide. Also, make sure the stuff isn't too warm when you cut it to length. Most will shrink a wee bit when cooling. It is always better to be a little bit long.

Reply to
Robatoy

Never argue with a client with curves

--Sham Shpade

Reply to
Bored Borg

boys have all that and more....

Several others have commented > I want to make a desk with a laminate top and treat the edge similar

Reply to
Pat Barber

I have got to start reading a little better... You wanted T-mold, which FastCap doesn't sell but their edging is quite good and I do recommend that.

For T-Mold, I would go to Hafele: