Scarf jointing fascia boards

Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project. Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.

Reply to
Osprey

Doesn't make much real difference -- I usually glue if weather suitable mostly for the sealing effect. Same thing essentially w/ simply good job of priming the cut ends. I prefer a longer cut than a 45, but that's just a preference; no real functional reason.

--

Reply to
dpb

45 on 1" material isn't much of a scarf compared to a normal 8:1 or 10:1, I typically see.

Have you thought about adding biscuits to strengthen joint and hold pieces in position?

I'd definitely use glue.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good idea ... I can go longer than 45 degree ... not sure what compund mitre score will allow ... probabky down to 20 or so.

I did think of biscuits ... when I originally was going to but joint .... are biscuits messy to install on mitre cuts ?

Reply to
Osprey

Don't gain enough to be bothered IMHO.

Not if you have the tooling.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Osprey" wrote

Common practice in this area is to NOT glue scarfed facia joints.

AAMOF, I don't think I've ever seen it done, and would expect that most cornice crews around here would fall off the scaffolding if you asked them to do it. :)

FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman