scarf jointing fascia boards

Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project. Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & with the Taurus moulding I wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.

Reply to
Osprey

This any help?

BigWallop

Alternatively you could join them at ground level (assuming you and a mate can lift a full-length run into place).

Then you could aim for the joints to fall between rafters, and butt join them, along with an additional timber plate on the back - glued and screwed into place.

This approach would have the advantage of getting the fascia perfectly straight (assuming the building is straight enough to accomodate it!)

Regardless of what approach you use - polyurethane glue is good for closing up and sealing watertight joints.

I would think most installers are much less fussy - at best you'd get some paint on the end grain of a butt joint on a rafter end.

Reply to
dom

If you sue a waterproof glue and the scarf joint, then if it ever does open up, the glue should ensure the ends don't soak up water, and the scarf will mean you don't get such and obvious visible line where the gap is.

(just because most installers CBA, does not mean you have to do the same!) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I agree ... on installers, I will even be coating rear of fascias with stain, as it help uneven moisture absorption.

Had a tip to make scarf joint more longer i.e. much more acute than 45 degree ...

Jointing up lengths and reinforcing with back timber seems a good idea, I could add some biscuits as well.

Just routed a 10mm slot along all the lengths to take soffits .... so pre-jointing seems like another 'prep job' that may be worth doing.

Reply to
Osprey