Off Topic: Amazing Water Landing on the Hudson

Page 1 of 3
I know that everyone is using the word miracle. But this Sully guy, the pilot, pulled off a textbook landing of something that nobody gets to practice.
He landed a commercial passenger jet on a busy river and everybody survived! That is remarkable feat and the best news I have read in a long time. Way to go Sully!
Lee Michaels wrote:

Not just "everybody survived" but so far it looks like only one seriously injured.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

No matter what that pilot gets paid, he deserves a raise.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

And even at that - it depends on how you define "seriously". It would be easy to consider a broken bone to be less than serious - especially under the circumstances.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Lee Michaels wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:

Equally impressive was the instant response of boats on the water to get to the plane to rescue the passengers.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

boats show up later. Just goes to show that in an emergency, whoever is closest is the first responder. And can perform valuable services to the victims.
You have to admit, in case of a water landing, you couldn't get much better emergency services than on the Hudson river. It is well serviced by numerous agencies with impressive training, watercraft, helicopters, etc.
I get a kick out of those pictures of the people standing on the wing. They look like they are standing on the water. A little bit of walk on water magic there.
But it looked awfully cold out there. I wouldn't want to be standing around in that water, in that weather, for very long.

The reason they had to wait is they did not have the exact change to get on to the rescue ferry.
I did hear on the news that the ferry crews train for water rescue. It was a good idea.
wrote in message

the Hudson, and I heard the chief of the NY Waterways company (private entity) explain how much they train for emergency work. My hat off and a salute to those guys!
The air was 30F or less, the water 41F. There was not too much of a breeze yesterday. All in all the conditions could very easily have been much worse. However, Captain Sully did an absolutely marvelous job putting the plane there so gently. Next time I fly, I hope he, or someone equally capable is at the controls.
--
Best regards
Han

He's 57 years old. In three years, due to FAA ruling, he'll be retired. What a shame, all that valuable experience offline because he's 60. My dad was a commercial pilot and started in the biz before the FAA came into being...he had a lot of gripes about the agency, but the biggest was the mandatory retirement age. And that was 40-odd years ago. Put yourself in the cabin and answer this: Who do I want flying me around in this death-trap?
Great job by all concerned!
cg
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:31:41 -0800, Charlie Groh wrote:

Perhaps if some of us mentioned that to our congressman or senator?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:37:53 -0600, Larry Blanchard

...this would be a GREAT time, eh?
cg
Charlie Groh wrote:

Someone will make him a trainer. Then there's the lecture circuit.
But with the book deal and movie rights, he'll never *have* to work another day, the rest of his life.
--

-MIKE-

From what I read, he's already doing the training and lecturing for airlines.
They raised the age to 65. "

Lee Michaels wrote:

I'm impressed! It was an amazing demonstration of of piloting skill, experience, and judgment all coming together to produce the best of outcomes from a very difficult situation.
Cudos to the entire flight crew - they exercised courage and kept their cool when that was of paramount importance, and (it would appear) did a magnificent job of helping the passengers keep theirs.
Cudos, also, to the ferry captains (and their crews!) for their quick response - and to the ferry management that made the decision to have their crews train for this eventuality.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Hmm - not only did I manage to mis-spell "Kudos" twice, I took for granted the folks who designed and built the Airbus that didn't lose its structural integrity in the water landing. Methinks they deserve praise, as well.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

aircraft. This allows them to stay afloat longer in case of a "water landing". That is some good thinking/engineering.
And the Airbus folks were very impressed with the landing as well. They had good things to say about the pilot.
Morris Dovey wrote:

engines were out there must have been power from batteries or an APU to operate the control surfaces?
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I always thought passenger jets could glide w/o engines like a rock?
--
Jack