radiator on landing

Any advice for choosing a radiator for a bedroom landing? The only position I could place the radiator would be along the horizontal bannister (only term I can come up with)..the section that runs along the landing. It is 2.1m in length.

Or is a radiator in this area a waste of money?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

I don't see why you'd need a radiator on the landing if you have one in the hall beneath.

Reply to
Rob Morley

FWIW we have removed several radiators, actually electric baseboard heaters, from our stair landing and hallways. In fact the 1500 watt unit in our front hall has been disconnected all winter due to an as yet incomplete wiring changeover in the basement! I'm going to respray it before reinstalling and reconnecting. Tonight temp. is presently minus 6 Celsius. Ergo you may not need the radiator at all.

Reply to
Terry

On a normal two storey house I'd expect an adequate sized rad on the ground floor to heat the first floor landing too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Before the recent wonderful world of new boiler and TRVs, we used to keep the rads in the three bedrooms shut off. Leaving the bedroom doors open, the heat from the rad on the landing was sufficient to take the chill off the bedrooms but making them just warm enough to provide a cool and pleasant environment for sleeping. Now, with the newly-fitted TRVs everything is much more even with little or no temperature gradient between a hot landing and a cool bedroom, and to be honest, the landing rad is hardly justified. YMMV.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

You like getting up to a cool bedroom? Sounds more like a torture to me.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

When I were a lad......

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Same here coming from Aberdeen, where the house was heated by one coal fire. Which was not kept on overnight. So ice on the inside of the windows was common in winter.

Hence I now like to wake up to a warm bedroom. I've done my penance. :-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pahh! We had that in our house in Kent! My dad said it provided extra insulation.

I like to sleep with a window always open to compensate for my wife's insistence on keeping her side of the electric blanket on! (Cause & effect is definitely that way round ;-)

Reply to
stejonda