oak veneered ply or solid oak

Page 2 of 2
petek wrote:

If you're trying to match Scandinavian style furniture, it's usually veneer over ply or MDF with a solid edging.

I'd do the shelves with ply, faced with solid. . . possibly put on with biscuits or a continuous spline. For the back, it's not that difficult to edge glue solid material. I just posted a gun cabinet photo that has 1/4" edge glued "boards" for the back. It was sturdy as heck and the glue held just fine.
--
Nonny

In article

I was recently at a reclamation yard near Coventry and they had some beautiful oak boards, about 8.1/2" wide and somewhere around 1" thick, 2.30GBP per foot. I remember looking at them and thinking they would make a nice bookcase, or even a small "bookshelf" loudspeaker.
Unfortunately the bookcase in our house that desperately needs replacing (veneered chipboard) is "mahogany", to match the rest of the furniture in our lounge/dining room