O/T: Pirate Rifles

Page 3 of 5  


I finally watched your ABC vid. That was a bogus demo, as is typical of the media, the boat the sniper was on being a fairly large platform, much more stable than a powered inflatable, the choice of most SEALS. In fact, it looked big enough to overwhelm any opposition whether it had snipers aboard or not. I was referring to a small powered infatable and stand by my claim.
I have no doubt SEALs are better shots than I, but a boat (not ship!) bobbing on the open sea shooting at another boat bobbing on the open sea ....not some sheltered harbor for bogus demo's sake.... makes sniping all but impossible, no matter how good a shot you may be. First, all that movement makes high power optics useless. Second, at 25 yds, a good pistol shot would be more practical, and good snipers are now trained in long range pistol shooting, which is nothing at all like sniping.
Try again. I'll debate you with a bottle for each hand and still outshoot you.
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
notbob wrote:

Ok, let me get this straight. You call a 500ft. Navy Destroyer with a 9000 ton displacement a boat?
Yeah, those things just bob up and down like crazy in calm seas, don't they?
Did you even read the accounts of this event?
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I can see this is pointless. Toodles.
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
notbob wrote:

I take it by your juvenile reply, that you either didn't read any of the accounts of the event or sobered up and realized you were spewing BS. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"-MIKE-" wrote: Something.
notbob wrote:
Something else.
What is it about "First liar doesn't have a chance", you two don't get?
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lew Hodgett wrote:

What's your point?
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
This has been going around. Although it is not considered to be the actual sniper event, it is a good portrayal. And it shows some navy humor as well.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com:80/3303/3455548458_3d77752c73.jpg?v=0
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:13:01 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Not only from a pitching ship but into a pitching boat. Gyro-stabilization could help on the shooting end but wouldn't do anything to stabilize the target end. I think target acquiring, active guidance small arms ammunition is in pretty short supply. So even if we do hear the "whole story", my bet is it's still going to be an example of some damn fine shooting.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Zzzactly. At a couple thousand feet per second, a target doesn't move very far at that short a distance. Besides, guys like that shoot with their balls, no technology required. When the moment is right, with a bit of a lead, send that little nugget on its way. It gets there really quick. So you might be off by 1/4".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You guy who are wearing the tin foil hats might want to catch this week's 20/20 on ABC. They had a military sniper show just how easy that shot is for them.... ten times in a row.
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

http://military.discovery.com/technology/weapons/snipers/snipers-09.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Agreed. These days, we seem to need to attribute human expertise, gained by many, many, many hours of practice, to machinery and electronics. Tain't necessarily so. In fact, it isn't often so, IMO.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The Bainbridge is something like 500 ft length, 65 foot beam, displaces 9000 or 10000 tons. She is not going to be bobbing around much in calm water. The sniper shown in the ABC demo was firing from a much smaller vessel and hit 10 for 10.
The most impressive achievment IMHO was the teamwork of the 3 snipers being able to take their shots and hit the pirates nearly simultaneously.
--
Better to be stuck up in a tree than tied to one.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I was damned impressed when I heard the story. Being perched on a stabilized gun mount makes sense. Otherwise I chalked it up to the SEALS identifying a potential situation, i.e. a sniper shot from one boat to another, and have practiced the hell out of it. The report I thought was funny was that the sea states started getting heavy and the pirates didn't seem to be too comfortable, so the USN offered to tow them to calmer waters which they accepted. SUCKERS, thanks for making the shot a little easier.
Damn fine work by some of America's best.
SteveP.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Highland Pairos wrote:

Richard Marcinko's first book and even his second offer some intriguing descriptions of how realistic he tried to make the training of his SEAL team and how it paid off in improved performance. However for one reason or another he was either forced to or decided to use a fictional approach to telling his story by the second book so it gets harder to tell what might have really happened from what he makes up. I for one wouldn't be surprised if the SEALS who took out these punk pirates had trained for something very much like what happened.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That tow rope, kept taut, would help stabilize the ratshit's boat, making a better target.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I suspect stabalized optics, old news in Japanese cameras. Rifled bullets are gyro-stabized by definition.
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
notbob wrote:

    j4
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jo4hn wrote:

Stabilized optics don't do you any good in aiming a weapon because it has to be pointed the same place that the optics are pointed. For such stablization to be useful the whole gun has to be stabilized. Stablization of the bullet does not help in aiming.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Come on, it is not an impossible shot even with a handgun, less for a sniper rifle. As a matter of fact 25 yards is not even a distance for a sniper rifle--regular scope is parallax compensated for 50 yards and beyond...
It is no big deal to put all the bullets into a quarter sized circle at 100 yards distance. That is when using a commodity rifle like e.g. widely available PSL-54C and cheap surplus ammo. I wouldn't even start about distance 4 times shorter...
Yes, there are some challenges because of relative boats movement but it is also not rocket science. Especially when those boats are tied with a rope... And absolutely no need to even think about wind at that distance. And it only takes 1/30th of a second for a bullet to travel that distance so there is no black magic of feeling where to aim if a target is moving...
--
******************************************************************
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.