O/T: Ode To The Colonoscopy

Ode To The Colonoscopy

At my age a colonoscopy is usually performed at five year intervals unless polyps are found, then it is a three year interval.

I'm on three year intervals.

Three years ago was my first colonoscopy and some benign polyps were found, thus it was time again for another colonoscopy.

You know the routine.

Eat nothing the day before the exam.

The night before, drink a about a liter pf "radiator flush" solution designed to flush a 30 foot long tube consisting of your intestines and colon.

This last time around had a little problem.

The standard size "radiator flush" didn't do the job and the colonoscopy had to be aborted.

Two weeks later, time for a repeat performance except this time a SUPER "radiator flush" (larger size, about two liters) and an extra days prep.

This is something you don't want to wish on your worst enemy.

Even "Super flush" wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.

On the way home way ready to eat the rear end out of a skunk, so stopped a got an order of greasy, gooey, chili cheese fries.

Cholesterol be damned, this was survival and they sure did taste good.

Repeat performance in 2 tears since they removed a few polyps.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

To me the horrors of the procedure are over rated. I'm on the 5 yr interval and although the prep's no fun the actual procedure isn't bad for me. Excellent (legal) drugs, no pain and I find it rather interesting viewing the exploration of my own colon on my own little monitor. For me the most unpleasant part of the whole thing is coughing up the 20% that ins doesn't cover. And as Lew stated, the feast on the way home is SO good.

Reply to
tom

There's a place not far from my gut guy's office that advertises "no one goes away hungry" - like 6 egg omelets for example. Cowards can wimp out to a half order, but after a colonoscopy I've never had any problem finishing anything on their menu :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There's an alternative to the two liter prep swallow -- Fleet kit. Althoug= h my doc wants me to suffer through the big gulp, I've convinced him that I= can get sufficiently prepped with Fleet. This is a pill and a one ounce s= wallow. You still spend the entire night on the porcelein bowl, but withou= t the aftertaste.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

There's an alternative to the two liter prep swallow -- Fleet kit. Although my doc wants me to suffer through the big gulp, I've convinced him that I can get sufficiently prepped with Fleet. This is a pill and a one ounce swallow. You still spend the entire night on the porcelein bowl, but without the aftertaste.

--------------------------------------------------- At this point, next episode won't be till 2014.

Who knows what time will bring.

Thanks for the tip.

Lew