O/T: I Vent My Spleen

Page 2 of 2

Mine's next year, because I dropped out in my senior year and had to go back and finish in '57.

Yabbut you hafta gimme a hint as to how long it took you to go through highschool, Lew..
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm a '39 and still a babe magnet. Sorry about the crayon but they ...
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I was afraid to let anybody know how old I was for fear you would all turn on me for being the old dude. HA-HA-ha.
I have a 3 year old son. I've been in construction all of my life as my father was the type to take me to work with him, and actually make me WORK!!
I was born in 65. I think that puts me in a category with stoutman. Maybe a few years between us. 40, I wonder if I'm still a babe magnet? Nah, I'd know it if I was.
Tom in KY, favorite old TV shows; Our Gang (Spanky and Buckwheat, Darla and Alf-Alfa)and Looney Toons ( the original Bugs Bunny and Wyle E. Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Porky and Petunia,,ESPECIALLY PETUNIA !!)

I'm c. 1961.
One of my favorites as a youngster in LA area around '65 was Bozo the Clown. When I see clips of the show now, I'm struck by how creepy the characters are. Otherwise, it was Gumby & Pokey, Hercules and Sinbad cartoons.
A few short years ago my 7 year old watched Teletubbies - now _that's_ one weird show. One of my favorites for our kid is Jakers on PBS weekends - it's a great show and all the adults I've run into who know it, love it and watch it as well.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Jakers is quite funny and is one of those cartoons that sometimes operates on different levels. I always thought Foghorn Leghorn was the same way. Other current cartoons that are watchable for adults IMHO are Stanley and Lazy Town. On the flip side are Teletubbies, Boobah, and Caillou. I forbid Caillou to be shown in our house. My little ones already know how to whine without it being reinforced on TV.
todd

I don't mind Caillou anywhere near as much as Teletubbies and Boobah (ugh I had forgotten about that oddity). I mean, I like passing gas just as much as the next guy, but when Tinky, LaLa or whoever does it on Tubbies squeaks one out, it just rubs me the wrong way.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

operates
and
forbid
whine
I almost forgot...if you get this PBS Sprout channel, there is a cartoon that pops up now and then called James the Cat. My only explanation for this show is that the writers write this show stoned.
todd
On 1/6/2006 4:06 PM snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net mumbled something about the following:

At 40, you're one of the younger in here. I'm 45 and feel like a youngin in here, altho in the computer chats and newsgroups, I'm one of the olduns.
I know I'm not a babe magnet in the "pretty boy" sense, but I do attract those looking for that "bad boy" image. 5 kids ranging from 11 to 27, 3 grandkids and one on the way. In the 32 years I've been in the workforce, I've worked in construction, both residential and commercial, been a software developer and an admin, been both a short order chef and a dishwasher, been a pizza delivery driver, a minister, an auto mechanic, a steam turbine operator/mechanic, and almost a nuclear power plant operator.
--
Odinn - still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

Odinn wrote:

?!
I believe that's a relative question. In reality it should be said, "someday I'm going to realize what I am (or was) now that I've grown old." It's just too early for us to determine right now.
Tom in KY, 40 year old kid ;-D

I'm 60 and still a babe magnet. How do I know? I get email all the time stating that young women want to meet me and even marry me. Just this morning, I got a note from "large breasted woman" that wants to contact me. I think I'm going to give her my credit card number so she can buy a ticket to come here for a dinner meeting.

Hey, wait a minute, I'm getting the same e-mails, don't tell me she's two-timing? Ah, man, I'm devastated. :-(
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I remember that one but don't remember the ring.
But my favorite radio show of all has to be any Jack Benny episode where he went down to his vault :-). What sound effects!
Somehow it didn't come off as well on TV - nothing left for your imagination.
On a related memory, my father worked as a linotype operator for a company that printed a lot of the comics. I got Captain Marvel, Superman, Looney Tunes, etc. as fast as they came off the press. For free! And I still remember my favorite that I read till it fell apart - it was "Oswald Rabbit and the Great Easter Egg Hunt" = Ahh to be five years old again :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:
> But my favorite radio show of all has to be any Jack Benny episode where > he went down to his vault :-). What sound effects! > > Somehow it didn't come off as well on TV - nothing left for your > imagination.
These days, Prairie Home Companion is the only place to hear radio sound effects.
Lew

A couple of years back I really got into some of the "Old Time Radio" web sites. There is a lot of public domain stuff that you can download and relive your childhood.
I got a kick out of The Shadow.
Oh yeah - you can get the on Usenet too.
"Who knows what evil lurks...."
Today, I think it's JT!!!
Lou

During college, since I commuted from home, I would eat lunch in my car. KOA radio played old radio shows during the noon hour. Those were great fun, George and Gracie ("Say goodnight Gracie"), Fibber McGee and Molly, The Great Gildersleeves -- that really was a golden art. Funny without being crude.