O/T: Ho Hum

Heh. Ever stop to think that there are more human mammae than there are humans?

So much for the law of supply and demand...

...I figure there must be some kind of hormonic distortion.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

No she isn't. SWMBO and I had lunch with her a couple months before she became governor. She's real people. But after getting the "image makeover" to try to shoehorn her into what the Republicans thought would get McCain elected, there were inevitable cracks in the facade. Her views didn't mesh 100% with "the message" and there were a couple very embarrassing, very public missteps.

Everyone in this group has had good instincts that might have flown in the face of the status quo... and depending on the circumstances, you may have ended up with egg on your face. Or maybe you didn't have the courage to let that inner voice out.

Sarah is respected because she is human, and honest, and her instincts are good even if her experience isn't.

I am sure she felt the whole weight of success/failure of a presidential campaign, and that kind of stress would bring anyone to their knees.

We are all astounded and disappointed that she seemed to change after that experience... and this latest move is a huge disappointment, since Alaska has a ton of unfinished business. I have lost a bit of respect for her if this resignation is an attempt at a run for national office.

Call her inexperienced, but she certainly isn't bitchy or arrogant. She is a genuinely good person. I don't agree with a few of her views, but I certainly respect what she (in a short time) has done to root out corruption in Alaska.

An anecdote: My wife is in charge of several crews of highway flaggers, and Sarah has her flagger certificate. Very early in her campaign for Governor, Sarah happened to be at an intersection my wife was working and they had a couple minutes to chat. Sarah said " well hey, if this whole Governor thing doesn't work out, could I come flag for you?" now THAT, my fellow woodworkers, is Sarah Palin.

Reply to
xparatrooper

It has to do with diaries. moo, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Perhaps that will change if this holds any truth >>>>>

Palin Facing Embezzlement Charges? Updated: Saturday, 04 Jul 2009, 3:43 PM EDT Published : Saturday, 04 Jul 2009, 3:42 PM EDT

a.. By MIKE BRODY (MYFOX NATIONAL) - When Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin abruptly announced Friday that she would leave office more than a year early, many wondered what she would do and why she was resigning. Now we may have some answers.

Reports have surfaced that Palin may have quit her job because she was trying to avert a major, yet-to-be-disclosed corruption scandal.

The crux of the rumor is that Alaska building company Spenard Building Supplies (SBS) was awarded a contract by Palin to build a hockey arena in Wasilla, Alaska, and in return, SBS helped construct the Palins' home.

According to Huffington Post blogger Shannyn Moore , "Both structures, it is said, feature the same windows, same wood, and same products."

Max Blumenthal of The Daily Beast wrote that federal investigators have been seizing paperwork from SBS in recent months, searching for evidence that Palin and her husband Todd steered lucrative contracts to the well-connected company in exchange for gifts like the construction of their home on pristine Lake Lucille in 2002.

A 2008 Associated Content report states that though Todd Palin told Fox News he built the home with the help of a few "buddies," public records revealed that SBS supplied the materials for the house.

In her press conference Friday, Palin said she had decided against running for re-election as Alaska's governor, and believed it was best to leave office even though she had 1.5 years left to her term.

"Many just accept that lame duck status, and they hit that road," Palin said. "They draw a paycheck. They kind of milk it. And I'm not going to put Alaskans through that.

Andrea Mitchell reported on MSNBC that, according to "people very close to Sarah Palin," she has "told her supporters that she is out of politics, period. She is fed up with politics. She doesn't like her life. She feels that she needs to raise her family."

Reply to
SBH

Wasn't meant to be. It turned out that way, though, as the governor was trying to defend his selection of a black man for a state job in a state that didn't recognize Martin Luther King's birthday.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sounds like a fine example of the Peter Principle to me.

Too bad she didn't realize it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

or dairies...

Reply to
jo4hn

Yep. Some get satisfaction in life from merely changing channels.

Me? I turn to religion.

Let us pray:

"... Help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it -- for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen."

Reply to
HeyBub

Too bad, seems the war is still being fought in some places, almost

150 years later.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

May a depraved camel invade your yard.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Tha's your opinion or there maybe you're just trying to troll the conversation. Nevertheless, since I've never met Palin, the only perception I have to go on is how she's appeared in the public limelight. While that perception is certainly open to manipulation (and degredation) by the press, explain to me why so many are as critical of her, yet not so of others who appeared in the same limelight?

Cracks and Missteps? I guess we differ there too. To me, those cracks and missteps looked like bottomless pits and multiple, out of control, summersaults.

THAT, my fellow woodworker is the mark of most glad-handing would be politicians. Sweet Talking a constituent is a necessary attribute to the trade. With few exceptions, not many politicians end up actually doing good honest contributions to the public good. Jimmy Carter and Habitant for Humanity is and example of one of those exceptions.

Can you tell that I have a very poor opinion of most politicians? I KNOW I'm not alone in that thinking.

Reply to
Upscale

Yup. My opinion. Go figure that the words the people type on keyboards would be their opinion.

My attempt to show another side of things, based on personal experience, eye contact, conversation, and no cameras rolling has met the expected cynicism.

So... after accusing me of being a troll, why would I trouble myself to explain ANYTHING to anyone that already has all the answers?

This is exactly why I have been lurking for the past 12 years. I just marvel at how twits can't wait to get filtered. You wouldn't happen to be related to the Puppy Wizard would you?

Reply to
xparatrooper

You could at least give credit to the author: Mark Twain.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Lactose intolerance?

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

In my state, we call it "The Recent Unplesantness" or "Our Second War of Independence," depending on the context.

That said, what's Martin Luther King's birthday got to do with the Civil War?

Reply to
HeyBub

And just maybe, it shows how susceptable you are to her political rhetoric.

This is or was supposed to be a discussion, something to be considered, not a legal obligation for everybody to believe outright what *is* only your opinion, just like mine. Considering how serious you are about the whole thing though, I'd surmise most of your conversations go the same way in short order.

Hey, if filtering me does it for you, then by all means, go for it. However, if that's your immediate response to what I'd consider a general conversation with no ill intent behind it, then I'm not surprised you've only lurked for 12 years. Sounds like you just haven't had anything to contribute except for letting us all know about the exceptional personality of Ms. Palin.

Yeah, he's my brother. He thinks highly of Ms. Plain too, only he doesn't appreciate her being a member of the NRA and her predilection for taking pot-shots at the local Alaskan wildlife.

Reply to
Upscale

Not a damn thing.

As long as special treatment is provided to ethnic/cultural groups, as long as labeling of "African American", "Mexican American", "Asian American", etc., continues to define individuals and groups, as long as these individuals or groups are allowed their own organizations which apportions other groups (Miss Black America, All black colleges, etc.,), the end of segregation will NEVER transpire.

Reply to
SBH

You appear to be a bright lad.

You don't really need a road map for the obvious, do you?

Think about it for a while.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, I've wrinkled my brow for several minutes now and all I can come up with is the canard that the war was about slavery. Slaves were black, Dr. King was black, QED. In only three more iterations, we'd get to Kevin Bacon (unless, of course, we get detoured to Idi Amin Dada). Of course all thinking, rational, people realize that slavery was a complete fiction used to stir up the Northerners.

The real reason behind the War of Norther Aggression was money. Cotton, at that time, accounted for about 70% of the nation's exports. Without money flowing in to the South for the purchase of their cotton, the South couldn't buy the sub-standard manufactured goods supplied by the North. Without that money, the northeners couldn't pay wages and would have to resort to slaves.

Giving credit where credit is due, however, the war material produced in the North was sufficient to prevail.

Reply to
HeyBub

Y'know, I would have chalked that up to a typo, if the "p" and "b" keys weren't so far apart.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz