Honda GC160 engine: how does the governor work?

I've salvaged a GC160 and got it to run; as a safety measure, I just filled the carborator.

When I first started her, she immediately went to a very high RPM. Thinking I'd kill it before it damaged itself, I shut the choke. At that time she settled down like a kitten.

Trying to discover why she ran away, I notice the throttle is held wide open by what appears to be a governor.

Can anyone describe how the governor works on this small engine and why it would allow her to go to such a high RPM? - Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

austinramsay had written this in response to

: This is a good engine, I put one on a go cart I built because it was just laying around. I was missing a part for the throttle, and didn't see a way to hook up the cable to the throttle, except going to the carborator. I started it, and saw the carborator sits wide open until it starts, and then it moves back into place after you start it. Is the way your throttle set up too tight and holding the carborator throttle in place so it can't move back? Start the engine then setup your throttle. Should help.

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 303719 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
austinramsay