Honda Mower Antics

Well, I pulled the Honda 5.5hp self propelled lawnmower out of a storage unit after sitting for more than a year.

Yeah, I know. Don't start.

The thing started, but blew oil and gas out the exhaust in big volumes.

So, I did the smart thing, and shut it off.

I then turned it over and drained the bad gas. I refilled with fresh, and checked the oil level, which was good.

I refired it, and it ran, but smoked quite a bit. I had to run it with the choke on to keep it running. I mowed a small area, and the whole time, it ran better and better with less smoke. I stopped a couple of times to check the oil level, which was always good.

What was all that stuff that blew out at first?

I'm going to change oil, and drain and refill the tank once again before doing any mowing. For a moment there, I thought it had blown a ring.

Anyone have one of these act like this? I hope to use it on a regular enough basis now that it won't sit long enough for the gas to go bad.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Not a blown ring, but maybe stuck so fuel and oil got out the exhaust. Pour some fuel into the cylinder (plug out and rotate the crank) and let it loosen the rings.

-- Oren

Oren

Reply to
jacko

My 14" gas 2-stroke cutoff saw acts like this. Too much oil in the gas mix, runs rich and fouls the plug until I let it run for a minute.

My Honda 4-stroke mower doesn't have this problem but I would agree with others that you got oil on the top of the cylinder. If it won't start after couple of pulls, remove the plug and I bet its fouled with oil. Bad ring or valve?

Reply to
** Frank **

Hondas are notorious for smoking on startup. Mine (two) have done it since they were new. Of course the oldest one (ca 25 yrs) now smokes like a lawn fogger now until a load (blade clutch engaged) is applied then it clears up. Still starts first pull every time except first time in spring now. Usually 2 or 3 pulls then.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K