O/T: Ho Hum

Page 1 of 5
Palin resigns as governor of Alaska.
That woman does OK until she opens her mouth.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

enough time for parties and insulting David Letterman, etc.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Lets see, Letterman makes a comment about her daughter that, if he had made it about mine I would have had a piece of his hide. She calls him on it. That is insulting him. Tis a strange world we have come to.
Deb

have happened to a better target.
--
Best regards
Han

target because of her extreme views anyway. The thing that galls me is everytime somebody doesn't like a joke, they want to fire somebody or censor the jokes.
It wa a joke. And good or bad, they all can't be good, it is still just a joke. The joke police are incredibly scary. They don't like a joke and all of a sudden, they want bllod. I can laugh at a joke, I can groan at a joke, but I don't think we need or would appreciate the joke police. It is censorship controlled by extremist wackos.

I know Letterman is a comic of sorts. And I would not censor him or anything. I am just giving my opinion that by attacking the (I believe teenage) daughter of a legit target he went just a bit too far. End of comment. Anything said of Palin within the limits of our US laws is fine with me. As with all politicians. Now how can we get rid of the 120 or so scummy NY State senators?
--
Best regards
Han

Strongly agree and to add, I'm willing to pet Palin, and the butt end victims of other jokes, will be laughing their asses off when Letterman or the others, joke about someone else in the same fashion. Hypocrisy is a major player within the whiners.
The bottom line is simple, they are mere words. If it's true, it bothers a person. If it's not, why should it.
SBH > Strongly agree and to add, I'm willing to pet Palin, and the butt end

I too am willing to pet Palin, and the butt end would be a good place to start.

Y'know, I would have chalked that up to a typo, if the "p" and "b" keys weren't so far apart.
B.

Damn, what the hell was on my mind. :)

I think that is pretty obvious, but watch it there.
You might get Palin upset all over again.
Lee Michaels wrote:

There are also people who don't have thick enough skin for real life.
Then there are the rest of us. ;-)
--
Froz...

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 10:07:19 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

No. It wasn't a joke. He may have called it a joke after the fact, but it was an insult pure and simple. And Palin wasn't the target of the insult, it was her teenage daughter. It went far beyond the limits for a joke and Letterman deserves far more consequences for the insult than he received.
I agree with Deb, had it been my daughter Letterman insulted on national TV, blood would have flowed.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Does that mean you would have flowing blood to all who would insult you and/or your family? Ask yourself....is it true?
It's overly sensitive to worry about mere words. Remember..."sticks and stones.....", seriously, why would any person allow words to upset them unless they are already uptight or extremely sensitive and unless they are true and even then, who cares.
There are far too many uptight people in this society who want actions taken against every little word spoken in a negative connotation. They all act as if it's the end of their lives and they can no longer step out of the house. Let's get real. People are raising a bunch of sissies when they whine about some pathetic insult and even moreso when they try to take legal action against it. The most important part sensitive people forget is to "consider the source".
Seriously, many people need to grow a spine.

I don't agree with that, it's whether there was malice behind the source. Anybody can be an idiot at a certain time and place (god knows I'm guilty of that), so maybe the source was just being his regular idiot self. But, if there was ill intent behind something then 'blood' might be appropriate. Most people of reasonable intelligence can determine whether malice was intended and guide their actions accordingly.
I didn't see the Palin/Leterman tetatet, so I don't know if Letterman was just trying to crack a joke or not. Maybe he was just being his expected regular idiot self, maybe not.

Open to conjecture.
wrote in message

Someone being their normal "idiot self" would simply increase the reason for ignoring, wouldn't you think? Obviously, someone who's constantly an idiot would have no stature due to that reputation. Therefore, even moreso to consider the source.

What ill intent can become of mere words? Slander? That's against the law and if not true, can then be proven, which then, would possibly be justification of a lawsuit, which would hurt a person more than a beating.

Letterman's career is based on comediac performances. Of course his attempts in front of an audience are mostly jokes, that's what he does to MANY MANY people.

"SBH" wrote

hilarious how he took the whole Fire Letterman thing and turned it into one big running joke. Which goes to show that he will mine anything for jokes. He may not be nice. But he is a comic.
SBH wrote:

Of course. Wouldn't you?

I agree there are too many aggrieved individuals who are eager to find slights in the most innocent of phrasing as in: "Sometimes a BLACK man is the BEST man for the cotton'-pickin' job!"*
The test should be in the intent of the speaker, not the sensitivity of the listener.

Agreed there are too many who want "action taken" and not enough like the OP who, himself, "will take action."

Agreed. The way insults will stop is not by legal action; insults will stop when the person making the insult gets the every-lovin' shit beat out of them. If the insulter is a high-profile person - like Letterman or Perez Hilton - the insults may stop sooner.

Agreed. Plus be ready to rise up in immediate righteous indignation and take steps. Remember the adage: "All it takes for evil to triumph is to let the evil-doer live."
------- * Infamous utterance by a former Governor of Arizona.

Nope. No need. You want to piss off a person who insults, laugh at them. By allowing them to get under your skin with mere words, you are allowing them the satisfaction of accomplishing their insulting goal. By disallowing them to get under your skin, you are disabling them of accomplishing their goal.

LMAO...that's good.

But even so, with intent, one should still consider the source and consider truth.

I disagree. Beating may sometimes stop the insulter from insulting you or family, but it doesn't stop them from insulting someone or group of weaker trait.

To each his own, but I will view the beater as the weaker link and incapable of intellectual defense. The insulter may be bloody, but he/she still won the battle.
"HeyBub" wrote:

Ain't funny Magee.
Lew