O/T: Food For New Years

Tradition has it you eat cabbage on New Years Day.
Those of you who are Kosher will have to modify, sorry about that.
Cabbage and Spuds
1 Lb, Smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces 1 Hd, Cabbage, cleaned and chopped (I don't eat the core) 5-6, White potatoes, pealed and cubed. 1 Lg, Spanish onion, cleaned and chopped 3-4 stalks, Celery, cleaned and chopped 1 Pint, Chicken stock (Bullion cubes and water will also work, just adjust salt content) 2-3 Tbl, Olive Oil 1 tps, Fresh cracked black pepper 1 Tbl, Kosher salt
Preparation:
Using a 6 Qt, cast iron Dutch oven with olive oil in bottom, saute onion and celery for about 3-4 minutes, then add sausage pieces for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Stir and add salt and pepper as you saute.
Add chicken stock and potato cubes, mixing completely.
Cover with Dutch oven lid and place in a 350F oven for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and let rest for about 30-45 minutes for serving.
Serve with a salad and French bread, if desired.
Since I created the above, after raiding the refrigerator one day, I call it "Cabbage and Spuds".
BTW, much tastier the next day.
If you don't like that one, there is always bacon and fried cabbage.
Lew

Dude... you forgot the last, important item: CLEAR the neighbourhood!!!! Do NOT ride elevators with these people!!!
"Robatoy" wrote>
Dude... you forgot the last, important item: CLEAR the neighbourhood!!!! Do NOT ride elevators with these people!!!
Same applies to beer, so not to worry.
Lew
My oldest daughter is a Texan (due to short 5-yr excursion on my part during the oil exploration boom/bust in the early 1980's). The tradition there is to eat black-eyed peas and champagne, first thing on New Year's Day. Which translates to "right after midnight NewYear's Eve".
Better than cabbage. By a long shot.
-Zz
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:13:32 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Which one?
Mine does herring, the youalls do blackeyed peaas, and so on.
Lew, You put Kosher salt in there so that will neutralize anything that is not Kosher. Marc (Bar Mitzvah March 16, 1968)

"marc rosen" wrote:

is not Kosher.
Works for mre, enjoy
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Now you've got me to puzzlin'. Is there an extra/typo "r" in "mre" or are you saying that soldier food ain't kosher?     mull, mull, mull...     jo4hn
"jo4hn" wrote:

"mre"......
Yep
Lew

NAW! It's Tamale's, Black eyed Peas, and Corn bread
"Leon" wrote:

I can handle legumes as long as ya got some ham hocks in with them.
Lew

Menudo.
Max
"Max" wrote:

I'll pass.
OTOH, Sauer kraut & Knockers..........
Lew

If she's got good knockers, to hell with the sauerkraut!
B.

N O !
I live in Mexico and still can't stand that stuff... We had some really excellent Mexican beef last night... Nice, thick rib eyes, char broiled... EXCELLENT!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote

I've had menudo every New Years morning for the last 10 (at least) years. Then Tamales, asaderos, & capirotada for the mid day meal. (all homemade)
YESSSS.
Max (an old El Pasoan)
"Han" wrote:

<snip great recipe>
Sounds yummy,
Gotta try it,
Thank you.
Lew

I hope Jennifer makes some of those too ...
Maybe I'll post a picture of tonight's oliebollen.
--
Best regards
Han

That would be mean...LOL
*drooling*
Happy New Year!
Today we has the typical Carolina lowcountry New Year's day meal.
Pork Collards with ham hocks corn bread hoppin john
yum!
Skip www.ShopFileR.com