O.T. Euphemism runs amok.

Page 1 of 3
I couldn't resist copying this from a posting on alt.usage.english. Language abuse is alive and kicking!
Went to RBC (a bank) on Georgia. "We're temporarily closed," said a woman at the door. "Is that it?" I asked. "Is that really all you're going to say?" "We've had an unauthorised withdrawal attempt." "Oh. You mean you've been held up." Vancouver is the capital of mealy-mouthed communication. "Unauthorised withdrawal attempt." I"m not making this up.
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

What was that other one..the plane crash.. "Unintended contact with terrain" or something like that. There's a few of those around, hopefully this thread will cough up a few.
On 1/26/2011 7:46 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Bet that caused an unintended sphincter relaxation in their Calvin Kleins ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

What was that other one..the plane crash.. "Unintended contact with terrain" or something like that. There's a few of those around, hopefully this thread will cough up a few.
I'll never forget the pretty face anchor gal on the local news reporting about an incident where an airplane landed and went off the runway.
She exclaimed! The airplane skidded into a crash!
Probably because it over turned, although it did not "turn over".
Leon wrote the following:

Close. Controlled flying into terrain.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Which isn't always a crash. I recall reading about a PBY that made an unintended landing on the Greenland icecap. The terrain was so flat and sloped so gradually that the first indication that the pilot had that he had touched ground was when at full throttle he had zero airspeed.
I don't recall if they got it off.

<snip>

malfunction long before zero airspeed occurred. Art
says...

Stall warning works by angle of attack, not by airspeed. Angle of attack was never unusual.

That is incorrect.
Robatoy wrote:

They work together (sort of). If the stall warning worked by airspeed alone, it would be going off when the plane was parked.
The stall warning (and airspeed indicator) is triggered when the dynamic air pressure detected by the Pitot tube is compared to the static pressure and the result is processed.
It IS possible to stall an aircraft at ANY airspeed if the angle of attack is sufficiently advanced.

As there are many methods to detect disturbed air flow/cavitation at the trailing edge of the upper wing surfaces.

Indeed. Airspeed is a factor in stalling conditions as well as angle of attack. Angle of attack alone doesn't give us enough to set off a stall alarm. An F-16 with it's nose almost straight up but doing 400 kn is not necessarily in a stall condition.
If the angle of attack is a constant and the air speed is varied, so does the stall condition.
Therefore, the statement: "Stall warning works by angle of attack, not by airspeed." is wrong.
Robatoy wrote:

An F-16 has a thrust-to-weight ratio greater than 1.0 (if memory serves). Therefore it can fly straight up exactly like a rocket ship - only different.
Even then, it still has an "angle of attack." And airspeed.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Actually it does.

And it is not necessarily operating at a high angle of attack either. An F-16 with its nose pointed straight up while it's doing 400 knots horizontally is operating at a 90 degree angle of attack and most assuredly _is_ stalled. On the other hand if it's in a vertical climb at 400 knots with the nose straight up then it's operating at zero angle of attack and is not stalled.

Yes.

End of discussion as you have clearly demonstrated that you know nothing about the subject.

Lew
OK, Robatoy, tell us of case in which an aircraft at a given angle of attack stalls at one airspeed but not at another.
What is becoming clear is that you do not know the difference between angle of attack and flight path angle.

You wrote:
"Stall warning works by angle of attack, not by airspeed. Angle of attack was never unusual."
NO mention of flight path angle. I do understand that you are now trying to introduce other variables in order to try to regain some lost ground from your erroneous previous statement. That's your style and that's okay, but what's next? A denial that stall specs change with altitude? In real time, we'd probably enjoy a few pints and get along just fine, but in here you have to stop treating people like they're stupid.
"NO mention of flight path angle."
What of it? You are the one who went off on a tangent about F-16s climbing vertically and when called on it you got pissy.
"I do understand that you are now trying to introduce other variables in order to try to regain some lost ground from your erroneous previous statement."
What "erroneous previous statement" would that be? And if you believe it to be erroneous then please provide a counterexample.
"That's your style and that's okay, but what's next? A denial that stall specs change with altitude?"
The angle of attack at which stall occurs does not change with altitude. However the airspeed at which an aircraft in level flight will achieve that angle of attack does change with altitude. If by "stall specs" you mean the stall speed you are correct that it changes with altitude, but stall speed is calculated from angle of attack and then verified by test.
Find a copy of "Theory of Wing Sections" and read through it and you'll end up with a much, much better understanding of stall. If you don't have an engineering or physics background though it's going to be a tough slog.
"In real time, we'd probably enjoy a few pints and get along just fine, but in here you have to stop treating people like they're stupid."
Unlikely in the extreme--I'd have to leave early while I was still sober enough to resist the urge to throttle you.

Pretty much what I expected as your bitterness towards many in here shows in almost all of your posts. That bitterness will chew you up inside-out. Sad, really. Sad to the core. (Boy, you really don't like it when somebody points out your mistakes, eh?) Oh.. and an attempt at throttling me would be a task which would result in an unexpected reaction .. to the extreme.

Oh, and don't e-mail me behind the curtain... only my friends are welcome to do that. You're pathetic.