O.T. Euphemism runs amok.

You mean mass..as in payload? Not "JUST" angle of attack?

Reply to
Robatoy

Said another way:

The angle of attack changes the amount of air flowing over the wing. The mass of air flowing over a wing determines lift.

As altitude increases, air density decreases (duh). For the same angle of attack, a higher altitude means less mass of air over the wing while the aircraft's weight remains constant. At some altitude, for any given angle of attack, a stall will occur.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sure. They still wax the wings of a B52 to make 'em slickier. That's probably to cut down drag and increase airspeed, but it surely affects stall characteristics.

Reply to
HeyBub

Soooo if air is thinner a stall would occur at a shallower angle or lower airspeed? (trick question)

Reply to
Robatoy

He does that so he can get into more arguements. Her we go again!

Reply to
Leon

No. If you are maintaining constant airspeed there is some altitude at which for any given angle of attack the aircraft will be unable to sustain level flight, however this is not a stall. A stall occurs when flow detaches from the upper surface of the wing and further increases in angle of attack result in less rather than more lift. And this occurs at a specific angle of attack.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nope, I posted from my gmail account so I could see Robatwit's post.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Robatwit... how original Did you make that one up all by yourself?...Is that why it took you so long to reply?

Reply to
Robatoy

STOP right here....

You mean... that if you change airspeed, things change? And here *I* thought you said it was strictly a function of Angle Of Attack... oh wait.. you DID say that.... . . . sucks to be wrong, eh John?

Reply to
Robatoy

How about the texture of the paint?

------------------------------------------------------------- I don't know, but will guess it is much less a factor than the weight.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You mean mass..as in payload? Not "JUST" angle of attack?

That's what I thought I meant.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

you can tell the class what the white segment of the airspeed indicator means...

Reply to
Robatoy