O/T: computer question

My first computer was an 8088 with two 5 1/4" floppies. Eventually added a 30MB HD for about $300 and that was in the 1980's. Another upgrade was the 24 pin printer over the 9 pin.

My Pentium 90 was about $3500, but I did spend the extra $300 for the

17" monitor. That was over the cost of the 14" base model.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, I know that. Them Festools ain't cheap, son. ;)

-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Heh! One of the five $20 Dells I bought turned out to be a snail-paced

930MHz.

So I relegated it to the table where CDs are duplicated.

For that application, it works swell.

On the other hand, there are uses for the latest lickety-split, double-clutched model.

For example, if you don't save the universe, who will?

Reply to
HeyBub

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have a TI994/a as my first computer. 1 mHz processor, storage was mainly on cassette tapes, and the joystick up button didn't work if the Alpha Lock key was down. There were no lowercase letters either. Lower case was small caps. It came with a Speech Synthesizer so games could talk to you.

Neat little machine, though. Even in 2012 Parsec is a fun game to play. "Press Fire to Begin" it'd say. "Warning: Alien Craft Advancing." "Nice Shot Pilot." "Nice Shooting." and a few more phrases.

It's responsible for my love of Small Caps fonts and TI calculators.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It might have some value today, especially if your video modulator is still in good shape. (I had some problems with the cable going bad.)

I've still got mine, in fact it's hooked up right now. Parsec is in the cartridge slot now, Blasto is nearby. (Old computers is a hobby of mine.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

About 5 years ago I was in an antique store in Indiana and they had a Commodore 64. They were asking $100 for it.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Wow. I just threw out a unit with an 8 digit readout and 20 key keypad in order to trim down for a move. The box I made out of finished oak was nice though.

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: It might have some value today, especially if your video modulator is still in good shape. (I had some problems with the cable going bad.)

I've still got mine, in fact it's hooked up right now. Parsec is in the cartridge slot now, Blasto is nearby. (Old computers is a hobby of mine.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Josepi