O/T: computer question

Page 3 of 3
On 3/11/2012 6:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Been buying "certified refurbished" laptops from Dell's Outlet store for about twelve years now with good luck. Three years ago, for the first time and for a nominal price, had to replace a motherboard in one after three years of use, but that laptop is still trucking in the office as a multi-media only machine. The others were donated to charity when they got long in the tooth and are still running last I heard.
Generally stick to their higher end XPS models and buy one that is still in production, but was returned for one reason or another. I usually save around $400-600 for the latest technology and spec's ... enough that the last one was easily paid for from what was saved on the previous three.
That said, Dell is not putting the quality in their laptops that they once did. Although the last one, just a few months back, an XPS 15 502x, does not have the fit and finish that the older ones exhibited, but it still runs like hell with it's 64bit OS and Core i7 processor, and hooked to a 24" monitor and SpaceNavigator, makes a helluva general office and SketchUp machine.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 3/11/2012 6:18 AM, HeyBub wrote:

NOT ME! I am just itching for Festool to come out with a computer. ;~)

Yeah, just trade in that old house you're living in for one, complete with internal dust collection and Festool green LEDs.
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
On 3/11/2012 10:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The old house I am living in is 1 year old last Christmas.

Yes, I know that. Them Festools ain't cheap, son. ;)
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
HeyBub wrote:

Thanks for explaining. When I purchase, I stay at least a year behind the newest models--and I use the stuff until I have decent reason to replace it. I have found the strategy a good one for cars too!

Bill wrote:

Heh! One of the five $20 Dells I bought turned out to be a snail-paced 930MHz.
So I relegated it to the table where CDs are duplicated.
For that application, it works swell.
On the other hand, there are uses for the latest lickety-split, double-clutched model.
For example, if you don't save the universe, who will?