O/T: computer question

I just got a new laptop, delivered today. One big problem; the box was crushed. The monkey men of UPS did their best impression of the old Samsonite commercial and really mashed it.

(NO advice needed on how to proceed with a claim, informing the shipper, documentation for the vendor, damage claim number assignments, photographic evidence, etc.)

I am really concerned that this machine could have been damaged, although it seems to be performing OK. I have a 72 hour window in which the vendor will send out a new one without charging my account as an emergency replacement if I need one.

I am looking for a program like the old "Burn In" and "PC Test" that we used to use that is for Windows 7. Those programs tested all memory sectors, HD sectors, and did hours of read/write exercises, cache filling and dumping and CPU tests. You wound up the programs and let them go, and a few hours later you had your results.

I can't find anything like that for Windows 7, and want to test ALL aspects of this machine within my "emergency replacement" time frame window.

Anyone have any suggestions? A program that you have personal experience with or know someone that has used it successfully?

Thanks -

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Sisoftware makes a popular benchmarking program called Sandra. It has many features. However, I don't believe the "burn in" feature is turned-on in the version which is a free download. It's still a very nice program to be aware of and may be helpful to you.

Bill

It happens that snipped-for-privacy@aol.com formulated :

Since you do not have any info/programs of your own installed yet, JUST call for a replacement and blame UPS. Simpler than trying to show some internal problem that neither you nor the supplier willunderstand.

Reply to
John G

I understand your concern, but it sounds as though the packaging did its job. Items like a laptop are tested to withstand a minimum of 8 drops from 36", possibly higher. The protective packaging is designed to take the force of the impact.

OTOH, don't think that the perfect looking package did not suffer even more severe damage internally. Depends on how the damage was inflicted.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Robert I would still get a replacement. That said, the manufacturer "should" have the program you are looking for and should be more than happy to send or point you to how to get it. I know Dell used to have more of these testing programs than you could shake a stick at and they might be on a secret section on your HD.

Reply to
Leon

Not a direct answer to your question, but... I would get another one. It is possible that the mistreatment could have damaged a circuit board trace that a minor bump in the future could cause a total failure or intermittant problems.

A year from now it will be on your dime.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Six months, a year, a long time from now, if something on your laptop doesn't quite behave the way you want/expect, your automatic inclination will be "I wonder if it DID get damaged." The possibility of that thought alone, would make me get a new one. It's the only way to remove that doubt.

Reply to
Robatoy

Here's a good standalone memory tester:

write to a CD, boot up the CD and let it grind.

I'd be more concerned about hard drive shock damage than MB/memory damage.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

That damned Butch ... screw up everything!

I would worry more about the hard drive than the memory.

Can't imagine why RAM would be effected even it the laptop was thrown across the room.

That said, MSFT had a memory test program on their website that could be burned to a CD. Memory diagnostics or something like that. You also want to back that up with another program, like memtest, as a matter of course.

Having used, and dropped more than a few, of well over a hundred removable hard drives in the studio, they are pretty robust as long as they aren't running, the floor is carpeted, and you're not standing on a ladder.

Use the built-in scan disk to test your hard drive. Unless there is visible signs of damage to the laptop exterior and something is rattling, I seriously doubt that you have a problem at all.

All that notwithstanding, send that sucker in and get a new one. No sense in taking a chance ... or else get a subscription to Carbonite and protect the data you're going to put on it, just in case.

Reply to
Swingman

Are you sure the apps you mention do not function on win 7. Just because it isn't listed for it doesn't mean it wont run.

Another option is to just have the computer do some very processing heavy app (like a high spec 3d game or something). Have it keep running through so that it is really working hard.

Keep that up for 48 hours (or whatever you want - but 24+). If it is still running and working then I doubt there is anything happened. I did find a "test" for Ram once - I would download and download and almost every time the file was messed up - turned out my ram had gone bad. It was still allowing the system to run but data was corrupted.

If it is running and not crashing - sounds like it is fine.

Reply to
Michael Joel

I remember those vividly. I used to test all memory and hard drives with 'em.

Ask a local computer shop who does anti-virus work for a suggestion. They usually have the best techs.

Or googlit: "computer testing software" and cautiously download some from a known good site, like PCWORLD, CNET, or TUCOWS.

think I'd just send the thing back if it were mine. Be sure to write down the serial number so it doesn't come back.

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

UPS regs say they can drop a package 15' onto a hard, concrete floor. I've seen it happen. Conveyor systems are elevated in all UPS and FedEX processing plants. It sounds like more than that happened to Naily's unit.

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't know about all computers but there is a test for all components for HP computers. It test memory, hard drives, the video card, and other subsystems.

If there is damage, I believe it would be to the mechanical hard drive and not to the solid state systems.

It would take a terrific jolt to cause physical parts to come together to cause physical damage to a circuit board or other solid state system.

However why risk the problem when you can exchange it now for nothing, the company that made the delivery not the computer manufacturer or distributor that will ultimately pay.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Memory is the last thing I'd think damaged in shipping. And with all the pins on newer memory, they stay in their sockets very, very well.

And I'd be worried that the whole thing got twisted, too. Mama is now arcing internally, the drive head is angled, and the display is tweaked but still working. Joys!

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This seems to be the nearly universal advice. I definitely agree with it. A new computer has enough probability of failure during the first 6 months that you'd like to be sure it wasn't the shipping damage that was responsible.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

More than the serial number - write down the MAC address of the network controller. Serial number labels or the case pieces they are glued to can be changed. Less likely that the MAC address would be changed unless the unit went through a factory test after a re-furb.

Reply to
Michael Karas

How did you come up with that conclusion? It is also possible than it was not dropped at all, but the protective packaging material was crushed when something was placed or dropped on it and inflicted no damage.

FWIW, I've been in the protective packaging industry for the past 42 years so I've seen lots of different scenarios.

Ed Pawlowski

When I wanted to ship something via UPS eons ago, it was written in their guidelines for packaging. And it's likely that Robert wasn't reacting to a simple ding on one end of the package. Most of us see and accept dinged packages, but we hold the deliveryman if there is more than just a wrinkle, making sure he either notes the damage in his recorder before he leaves or watches us open the package. Most people don't react like that or ask for assistance on a minor crease in a the cardboard box, knowwhatImean,Vern?

Yes, that is a possibility. Not having seen the package, I couldn't say. I added the possibility of a twist to the scenario, too.

representative of what can happen in the real world. Ideally, the foam packaging absorbs almost all of the impact, but a 15' fall onto a single corner just might overstress the packaging. I wonder if Robert has pics...

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Robert,

Take a look at SpinRite at

Your current issue may not warrant the cost of the program. However, going forward with whatever you decide to do with the laptop, you may find it a useful tool.

I've seen some scenarios where dropping a laptop has dislodged internal components, such as RAM or video cards, that once reseated allowed the laptop to work again.

The usual disclaimers apply. No affiliation with the company, just a satisfied end-user.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

But it may or may not overstress the contents. One of my customers required a 26' drop (yes 26 feet). That was to simulate the drop from the cargo hold of and airplane. The package can be damaged, but the radioactive product could not leak.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski