Novice woodworker wonders what tools I should buy

I've recently taken up playing with our limited woodworking tools and have made several elaborate birdhouses, a storage box and some coat/ hat racks. I've really been enjoying it and would like to buy some tools that would make this new hobby more fun. Hubby recently passed away and I wish I'd bothered to learn more.

I currently have 3 drills, a circular saw (old), a cheapie table saw that is really just a circular saw hitched up to a table, saber saw and an inexpensive tabletop sander.

I'd like to try my hand at making duck decoys, making some window seats and I'm not really sure what else....but I'm enjoying myself so much, I'm sure I'll think of something.

I'd appreciate some suggestions as to what tools I might consider adding (or replacing). I've been thinking of getting some better safety goggles, a band saw and a router and maybe a bunch of clamps. I'd also really like something with a dado blade on it. Years ago I'd used a radial arm saw and really liked it but I'm not sure if that would be too much for me to consider at this point.

I live way out in the country and there are no classes on woodworkng locally so I'm basically on my own with a little verbal help from neighbors and of course the library.

Rather than just running out and buying a bunch of stuff, thought I'd ask the experts for their suggestions. Thanks! Appreciate your opinions.

Sandy

Reply to
sandy

"sandy" wrote

Often noted hereabouts is a rather simple, but wise, concept ... decide upon a woodworking project, then buy the tools you need, as you need them and as your budget allows, to accomplish the tasks in the project.

That way, at least in theory, you end with only the tools you need for the type of woodworking you tend to enjoy.

Theory is fine in theory, in practice there will be some/many things/tools you just won't be able to resist ... don't ask how we all learn this. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I agree with the last post. Decide what project you want to build and then go get the tools for that project. If you do this, you will aquire the tools do most of the projects you want to do. Always buy the best tools you can afford to buy. If you are going to make duck decoys, you will need a band saw, carving knifes, and something like a dremel with a flexable shaft and bits. A wood burner would be helpful also. Let me know if I can help? Randy http://nokeswoodworks,com

Reply to
randyswoodshoop

"FrozenNorth" wrote

"Build it and they will come ... buy it, and you damn well better use it"

Close? ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Sandy, This is well worn topic and there are also numerous magazine articles addressing the question. I would caution you to avoid contracting the disease, " tool lust ". Its symptom is the need to acquire numerous exotic tools, jigs, etc. Luckily, its not fatal only discomforting to the wallet.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Off to a good start. Many of us consider the tablesaw the main point to start with. For a duck decoy, bandsaw and carving equipment would be better suited, but for those benches, the tablesaw is a big help. I'd recommend saving up to get a decent contractor type saw, not a small benchtop that you'll be unhappy with in a year or two. Budget $800 to $1200 for that. Oh, and get a good blade for it also.

Bandsaw. Get a 14". They are the most versatile for the home shop. The little benchtop 9" are merely toys.

The rest of the tools, get as you need. Clamps are a good investment. Consider making or buying a router table. I rarely use the hand held, but very often use the table mounted router. Get hearing protection too.

You don't always need the best and most expensive tool, but don't buy junk either.

Shop vac, rulers, tape measure, square, apron, floor mats, etc, make life in the shop easier. Block plane is very handy, such as the Lee Valley low angle Don't forget the Lee Valley Saddle square also. I can't imaging doing woodworking without one.

Edwin Pawlowski

Grover, Sandy is woman. She's smarter than us. Tool Lust is strictly a male disease.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Wonder what Renata and Kate would say about that? :)

Reply to
Swingman

I think a sturdy contractor-style table saw and a decent router will get you a long way to being able to handle a lot of jobs. As 1/2" routers are reasonably common these days, I'd hold out for one of those. Variable speed is nice too. If you buy a contractor-style table saw, you can easily build your own 'wing' which will hold your router. Together with the table saw's fence, it will make a nice compact 'machining centre'. Build a sled for the saw and you're all set for a lot of projects without breaking the bank. As suggested elsewhere, a good blade for the saw can turn something mediocre into something terrific.

A quality jig-saw would be next on my list. Then a biscuit joiner or a Kreg pocket-hole set up. (They're not completely interchangeable, but can perform similar functions. You'd need to explore that.)

And lots of books. Look at Lee Valley's website for plans, DO NOT LOOK AT THEIR TOOLS!!!!! STEP AWAY FROM MONITOR!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but doing something he liked doing, can be very cathartic. Oh, and safety first, okay?

=46rom there, a table-top planer

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL.. that was a bit misogynistic of me wasn't it. I apologise and stand (sit) corrected.

Reply to
Robatoy

First my condolences for your loss.

Next, forget about buying anything for awhile.

Remember the 10 year old kid with a dime allowance?

Clasped that dime firmly in the hand and did a lot of window shopping before it grudgingly got spent.

Well picture yourself as that 10 year old kid, do a lot of window shopping, it is a necessary and fun part of the process.

Get a copy of Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery from either the library or for $20, buy a copy.

It is a little dated, buy any book that has a chapter, "Happiness is a $5 Table Saw" is definitely worth reading, if you want to continue down the wood butchering road.

The book will give you a new perspective on tools as well as wood working in general.

Armed with that information, you will be in a much better position to determine what, if any, tools you might/must acquire.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Grover, Sandy is woman. She's smarter than us. Tool Lust is strictly a male disease.

Not so fast there!!! My wife has been known to get tool lust on my behalf...when I go to a tool type store, if she comes in with me, I will typically wind up buying more than I intended to...sometimes a LOT more...like a bandsaw worth more when I went into Woodcraft looking to buy come pen kits...should have been a $25usd trip...ended up over $650.

And no, you can't borrow her...I need her for the NEXT trip to the store!

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

Others have given some very good counsel for tools and equipment, but I will go the other way for a moment...

I would start with upgrading your safety equipment before anything else. Get good glasses that you can wear for several hours at a time. If you can't wear them all the time, you'll set them down between cuts and lose them. Or worse...set them down, can't find them and decide that "Oh, it's just a short cut, I'll go without for now." Next thing is you hoping the medics can save your eyesight.

Also get a good fullface shield. I wouldn't go with the filtered air type, just open side if fine for 99% of stuff...unless you take up turning, then all bets are off on the filtering units and get one of those.

DO NOT use gloves and power tools...I know, but lets hold off on the holy wars here guys, we're talking about a relative newbie here, so let's just stick to learning to made sawdust without the blood coloring... I do use gloves when handling raw stock...I really don't like slivers...but no where else.

Get a decent first aid kit, because you will get cut and you will have slivers.

For the shear joy of making wood chips, you might want to think about a good hand plane. I use tools with tails, but there are times that I just want to hear the sweet sound of a well tuned plane slicing through a board and piling the whisper thin shavings around my feet. I've done that for no other reason than to hear and smell the wood and planed away several inches of wood.

I, along with just about everyone else here, would like to say that I'm sorry for your loss and hope that we can help in turning you into a seasoned termite.

Luck to you Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

Sun, Feb 24, 2008, 8:05am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@isp.com (sandy) doth sayeth: , thought I'd ask the experts for their suggestions.

But you screwed up and came here instead, eh? LOL

Duck decoys. I got a book on making them a few weeks ago. But don't know where it's at, so can't tell you the title. Got it in a used bookstore. Start hanging out in a good bookstore. Or, your local library. Need a bandsaw, good knife, carving chiesls, depending on just how detailed ou want to get.

Router. Make your own table, cheaper, you'll get what you want, not what some seller thinks you want, and good learning experience.

You can buy clamps, or make cam clamps for almost nothing, unss you start using fancy wood in them. I used 1/2" plywood and figure they were probably 25 cents, or less, each.

If you get a late, i'd say get a big one. I got a 37" HF woodlathe years ago. Still works like a cham, and loads of fun to use. You can't make big stuff with a small lathe, but you can make small stuff with a big lathe.

If you plan on making youself rich woodworking, don't quit your day job yet.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Almost makes me wonder what the "REAL" cost of that bandsaw is going to be. What is she up to????????? Better be careful. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Actually, it's pretty simple...I can buy just damn near anything I want...as long as it can fit in the shop and can be used to produce things for her or our grandson.

That's how I got my big lathe, my Leigh jig, the bandsaw, the jointer, the...well, you get the idea.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

Mine is the same - at times.

In the fall, she saw an ad for a lathe in the local newspaper. "Go get it", she said. "You've been saying you want one, and this looks like a good deal."

It was, and I picked it up. Those of you who have seen pics of my shop know that there's no way I could get one in there. It's there.

Every November she gives me a GC for Lee Valley and off I run to fill out my birthday wishlist.

She figures good stuff will come out of that shop that she'll enjoy.

OTOH, when I come home with a truckload of wood that I couldn't pass by, it's "How much did THAT cost??"

Some days you're the bug, other days you're the windsheild.

Reply to
Tanus

Swingman that is actually great advice.

So if you plan your project right you can have them all?

I get more tools when SWMBO asks if I can make this or that.

I have good tool resistance, been married to her for about 2 years!

Reply to
asmurff

"The Davenport's" wrote in news:Oclwj.44$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.lga:

*snip*

I'll second the opinion, and add a recommendation of quality hearing protection. I got a pair of "dumb" (that is, no electronics) headphones for around $10 at Menards, and they're a decent starting point. Others here have some with fancy electronics that automatically turn on and off when they detect certain noises.

Using most hand tools, the hearing protection will probably unnecessary. Hammers and powered tools, especially in enclosed spaces, usually require hearing protection.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

This is good advice, but if you have the money and you want to dive in, then I suggest you buy a nice table saw. It's the woodworkers work horse - the tool you look to first. After a table saw, every other tool is a luxury...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff