North American wood

Page 3 of 3
Wed, May 9, 2007, 12:28pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@atww.org.invalid (MichaelFaurot) puzzedly queries: This question pertains to what's available from North American wood dealers. This may well be a naive question, but why is it that there doesn't seem to be much available in terms of other North American trees such as Elm, Sycamore, Willow, Birch (not counting plywood), Beech, etc.? <snip>
If you're married you could have asked your wife and saved time, she'd know. If they don't have what she wants at one store, she goes to another, then repeats until she finds it. That's all you've got to do. Of course, most women keep going from store to store after they find what they want; that's optional for you.
It's basic, if one place doesn't have what you want, you check another place.
(Michael Faurot) puzzedly queries: This question pertains to what's available from North American wood dealers. This may well be a naive question, but why is it that there doesn't seem to be much available in terms of other North American trees such as Elm, Sycamore, Willow, Birch (not counting plywood), Beech, etc.? <snip>
If you're married you could have asked your wife and saved time, she'd know. If they don't have what she wants at one store, she goes to another, then repeats until she finds it. That's all you've got to do. Of course, most women keep going from store to store after they find what they want; that's optional for you.
My wife doesn't go from store to store to store to find what she wants, she picks up the phone and yellow pages and starts dialling until she finds what she wants. If that doesn't work she gets my son to check the internet and orders it from across the border.
Wed, May 9, 2007, 8:25pm snipped-for-privacy@reply.in.this.group (EXT) dot sayeth: My wife doesn't go from store to store to store to find what she wants, she picks up the phone and yellow pages and starts dialling until she finds what she wants. If that doesn't work she gets my son to check the internet and orders it from across the border.
Wonder if that means she's a smart shopper, or just lazy? LOL
They must be better than around here. A great deal of the time, when you call a store and ask if they have something, they will say yes without any idea if they actually do or not.

she
what

Others have addressed some of the questions, mostly at a fairly superficial level of "what is widely available is what sells" which is, of course, true. Others have touched on the properties of some particular species but the subject is almost limitless, far more complex than addressed. If you're really interested in the "why's" of why some woods are used for various things and not others the two sources to start with are R Bruce Hoadley's "Understanding Wood".
http://woodworking.about.com/od/recommendations/gr/UnderstandWood.htm
and 'Characteristics and Availability of Commercially Important Woods' from US Forest Products Laboratory, the font of all knowledge on things woody --
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch01.pdf

Thanks for the post and all the info. This is the type of information I was after.

Understood. I knew these other types of wood were out there and I could get some if I really wanted. But I was more interested in the background of why things like Cherry/Walnut/Maple/Oak were more predominately available than stuff like Willow/Elm/Sycamore. Thanks again for all the background info.

remove ".invalid".
Get out of town and locate small to midsize sawmills. I live in western Wisconsin and there is a sawmill about every ten miles or so. Maybe there's a newsgroup for sawmillers and or hobby sawmills. Our closest sawmill buys everything in the woods, finding something to do with it. That was about circular saw mills. There are also lots of band saw mills around. Most of them around here are part-timers, but they saw whatever comes their way, too.