Norm's mahagany finish

Page 3 of 4

You mean a dozen or more right?

Putting on a stain doesn't convert the wood.

Then you'd have wreckers calling you a carpenter, a hack, inept, etcetera because you used poly.
At halftime??

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:23:09 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

Immediately following the Super bowl,
George W. Bush called the Patriots and complimented them on a great game.
Al Gore called the Panthers and said he thought they were robbed.
Bill Clinton called Janet Jackson.
---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==-- http://www.diversify.com/stees.html - Schnazzy Tees online ----------------------------------------------------------

Geez Ed, it's not like he beat up his wife and screwed some hooker. It's freakin' STAIN!!!

Right, it will not change my life or yours.
But is was wood related and I voiced my opinion. Rather that use stain, he could have bought real walnut for less than the mahogany he was coloring. Hey, that's just my opinion and you can voice yours also. Ed
Maybe he did buy the mahogany. . .
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
wrote in message

Uh, did it occur to you that he wasn't staining the mahogany to look like walnut? Do you think maybe he was using a stain that happened to be walnut colored to give the mahogany a different hue.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

Did you see the show? He inferred that mahogany is in need of some help with the color. That should be left to the user, not the man with a lot of influence over how people do woodworking. Yes,he does have a lot of influence as all TV personalities do.
Of course it does not matter what my opinion is, you will defend his right to have a poor influence over many people's choices. If you go back to my oringinal post, I was saying it was a terrible choice. I stated my opinion. I'm sure it will not change YOR opinion. I guess the difference is that while I like the guy, you seem to adore him and made a shrine of sorts to his show. Good for you. My mind is a bit more open when it comes to Norm. He does a lot of nice things and I've learned some things fromhism, but I also know that just like me, he has faults. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Every single one of them.

You inferred that. He implied it. I said it outright.

Uh, that would be him. Or Morash. In either case...

So because someone has a lot of influence (blah, blah, blah) they are no longer permitted to make the choices that you confer on other users?

Ahhh, I guess we're done with the issues and on to straw men. A shrine? It's just a reference work. Doesn't even editorialize on his "choices."

Saying it is so, doesn't make it so.

Yes, let's clear the channels of all except those without faults.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

But if he wants to educate, he should offer choices, show options. Not just say "mahogany is too red so I'm adding walnut stain." It would be better to show the natural wood with a finish and then go on to express his opinion and do the stain.

See above statement. People ARE influence by his choices and decisions. He can make any choice he wants. If I'm instructing people, I show them options. Ed

A finishing special would be interesting.
Barry

No, but I'm curious about the historical context of the piece. Please share, especially the wood, finish and patina

No, YOU inferred.

... or a different opinion

I did? I thought the mahogany was just fine. He said it was not, thus the NEED for stain. Yes, I did capitalize NEED because he said mahogany is just too red and he had to put stain on it. .
It was a show with a 1994 copyright. If you want to see it, perhaps it is still available on tape.

I'm sorry, I did not realize he is perfect. Thanks for pointing out that his "faults" are just a different opinion than mine. Ed

Go look up the word.

You thought, he thought... sounds like opinions, yet you boldly declare that he is unquestionably wrong.
What was the historical context? Wood? Finish? Patina?

Thanks but I'll just wait for the rerun to come around. Come to think of it I wonder if the library carries them.

Don't apologize to me for anything. The straw man is worthless though.
I sure don't think he is perfect. I know I'm not. I know that I can learn something from just about everyone including wreck regulars, lurkers and otherwise.

Do you still think that coloring mahogany is a fault?
Ed Pawlowski states:

You're kidding, right? Or you've never seen the Parkersburg "news personalities." I've gotten so I can barely watch the show for fits of laughing at their malapropisms and general lack of knowledge about any subject whatsoever, including how to speak the English language. I guess that's influence, but I don't think it's what you mean.
Basically, a person watching, or reading, has some obligation to the material, to learn enough to make a judgment call. If that isn't done, then whatever that person gets is probably close to what he deserves.
Yeah, I know tyros need more help, but forcing a show to cater only to tyros is limiting the show drastically.
I've seen mahogany that is helped by staining, as I've seen walnut and cherry that are helped by staining. Someone else might disagree with me: hell, I like the natural color of white oak, but these days unfumed white oak seems to be anathema to most woodworkers. Personally, I don't much care for the emphasis fuming places on the rays: they're much more attractive (to me) in a more natural state.
So, as used to be said in the '70s, different strokes for different folks.

I'm glad you guys got all the faults. :)
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
On 25 Feb 2004 10:16:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) brought forth from the murky depths:

Right. And that's a good reference. There should be similar punishment for either of the two crimes.
--Friends don't let friends use stain--
---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==-- http://www.diversify.com/stees.html - Schnazzy Tees online ----------------------------------------------------------
scribbled:
<snip of heretical Norm bashing>
Mike, Mike, Mike. Won't you ever learn:
NORM RULES!! Norm bashing is not countenanced in this newsgroup under any circumstances. Norm is perfect and he has the best workshop with all the best tools. He is the greatest woodworker in the whole wide world and in all of history. HE IS NOT TOM SILVA'S WATER BOY!!!
Norm does not make mistakes and does the finest woodworking that is humanly possible. Norm always does everything in the best possible way. He is better than Tage Frid, Frank Klausz, James Krenov, Sam Maloof, Tom Plamann, Ian Kirby and all those other phoneys and rip-off artists who claim they can hand-plane a bench-top to within 1/1000 of an inch, all put together. If enough people built things the way Norm does and bought the same tools he has, the world would be a much better place. Nailers and bisquick joiners make the best joints for attaching wood and cross grain construction is perfect if you use enough brads and biscuits and glue. No need for expensive clamps if you've got a brad nailer. Schlepping glue all over your project with a wet rag saves on finishing. Minwax stain and poly is unquestionably the best finish. Anybody who thinks different or who dares criticize Norm is just jealous. If you hate him so much, why do you keep watching his show?
As the Pope has infallibility in matters of faith, so has the Plaid One in matters of sawdust. If you don't believe me, you will get flamed and get tons of hate email for your blasphemy. You will be tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail. Just ask Tom Perigrin. Ignore that JOAT pagan. There is but one woodworking god. Norm is Jewish and a carpenter and his mother was a virgin. 'Nuff said!
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
I know I have sinned, I have sinned and sinned ,oh woe is me I have sinned......mjh

The high prietht hath heard your confethion.
He thayth "repaint and thin no more."

Can't be, or he would do things Mike's way.
Besides, Norm has to be holding his pneumatic brad driver for his pronouncements to be infallible....