Norm

Page 2 of 5

Reed Snellenberger wrote:

Don't forget the non shooting days related to a given project. The time spent developing the plan and building the prototype. The shooting days are just the time spent building it again on camera.
Pete C.

Considering that, The cutting scenes could easily be the ones of him when was building the prototype.

Exactly. All the grunt work is done by staff. Norm is not in that shop for more than 4 hours per episode... he spends the rest of his time in first class lounges at airports. He's a star.

LOL... Hand me a towel now...
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 04:55:46 GMT, Reed Snellenberger

The one thing I never understood, especially about his brad-fetish is that people keep saying he's only got so much time. Um... they can put it in clamps and turn off the camera, you know. Glue doesn't take that much time to dry.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Production crew time costs $. Production crew sitting on their thumbs waiting for glue to dry wastes $.
Pete C.

So why show any of the construction process? Time is money, remember? If they really were worried about that, they could have something they glued together earlier, like they do on cooking shows.
Brian Henderson wrote:

It's a common sense tradeoff between wasting production crew time and wasting Norm / construction crew time building ten copies of the item to different stages so they can all be shot at once.
Pete C.
<<It's a common sense tradeoff between wasting production crew time and wasting Norm / construction crew time building ten copies of the item to different stages so they can all be shot at once. >>
In the case of NYW it would be a waste to do this because, contrary to the belief of many, Norm does not have a crew of minions to do his grunt work. Those members of the crew who are present in the workshop are there to produce the TV show, not to build stuff. IOW, the crew is there to assist Russ Morash (the producer -- and most likely the guy who decides what finish gets applied to the wood), not Norm. There is one guy on the crew who helps Norm but his duties are mainly involve helping to set up the tools and keeping the workshop clean.
Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon wrote:

Where do you get one of those? And I don't want to hear I have to _pay_ someone. That's cheating. I'd like an unpaid apprentice interested in learning shop cleanup who has absolutely no ambitions yet has a killer work ethic. If any one knows of such a person please contact me at:
yesiknowiliveinadreamworldbutyoucantblameaguyfortrying.com

I find them every year. Local highschool wood shop. Once they're out of school, I finance their projects. I buy the materials, supply the tools and shop. They design and complete their project and sell it. The costs come off the top and then we split the profit 60/40. They get the 60. After a year or so, they move on and most of them make it from there on their own.
Locutus wrote:

Having said that, I also have noted and mentioned his propensity for using a "few brads to hold it together until the glue dries". Nor am I a fan of his finishing techniques. I'd guess that may be a common sentiment here?
Dave
The thing I don't like is when he does stuff with equipment that the majority of use will never have. I don't think there are too many people here who have a molding cutter with custom laser-cut knives for each project. And how about his $800 pocket-hole machine?
That being said, he's still pretty damned good, and he was making nice stuff long before he got all these nice gizmos and gadgets. Plus, I suppose there is some merit to showing us what's out there for the state-of-the-art and letting us see how much easier it can make our lives.
As far as his finishes go, I'd guess that he's trying to cram a project into a couple days of cutting and assembly and only a couple more days of finish time. A really nice finish might take him a couple of weeks, and he probably doesn't have that kind of time for a given project.

IMHO, he would be well servered to just skip to the poly on every project. It might be dull, but I think it would produce a more attractive piece, the exception being reproduction pieces. Sometimes it's appropriate to stain, and it's good to show those techniqies and recipes. I think I'm most likely to just tung oil poly most projects.
brian
Josh wrote:

There are molding heads for table saws and better ones for shapers. There are lots of stock knives available and companies that will do custom knives fairly reasonably.
He may have the $800 production pocket hole machine, but you can get the $20 Kregg pocket hole jig and do the same thing or spring for the $120 Kregg kit which works beautifully and is just not as fast for production use.
Norm just has the high end versions or things that are still available to the weekend woodworker.

Right.
That's the key right there, he needs to be able to shoot the shows pretty quickly. I'd expect that most of the projects are shot in a week or less. Probably a week before to figure out and build the prototype and then a few days to shoot building it again.
Pete C.
<<He may have the $800 production pocket hole machine, but you can get the $20 Kregg pocket hole jig and do the same thing or spring for the $120 Kregg kit which works beautifully and is just not as fast for production use. >>
But on various occasions Norm has demonstrated all of those options. While we marvel at the coolness of his most elaborate tools (none any more unobtainable, I might ad, than David J Marks' multi-router or 20" jointer), and they are perhaps freshest in our memories, Norm will often show the use of the cheapest Kreg jig or or even even take a stab at freehanding.
Lee

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:41:43 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

But you have to remember that all the tools on David Marks' show are his own, personal tools that he's aquired over a lifetime of woodworking, plus the fact that on his tool show, he pointed out all the things that he's gotten used, including his aircraft-carrier-jointer. Norm's tools are all advertiser supplied and any beginning woodworker isn't going to have access to $10,000 worth of tools. The two shows are really aimed at different audiences as well.

Exactly
The two shows are really aimed at different audiences

Dang it Brian... does that mean I am gunna have to stop watching one? LOL
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:01:32 GMT, "Leon"

Nope, both shows have different things to offer, just like Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking have different things to offer. Both are good, in their own way.

Ha! $10,000 wouldn't buy a quarter of Norm's tools.