No more Jet tools for me

Amen. But the "lose a little on each sale, and make it up in volume" myth is *very* appealing to some.
Lee

That too.

$50.. Good lord. How much does the company figure it cost them when an employee goes to take a dump? Or do they have to use the restroom on their own time or break time?

I bill shop help at $50 an hour. How much does it cost to take a dump? At five minutes per day, that is 20 hours per year or a half a week's vacation time. How much does it cost to smoke? If you have one smoke an hour at 5 minutes, that is 40 minutes per day. 166 hour per year. Not a bad vacation.

We just "laid off" a guy at our shop for that reason. He could not work with out a cigarette burning. As there is no smoking allow inside businesses in our city, (city ordinance), he had to go outside. Tough to get any work done when you are a chain smoker! 5 minute breaks every 10 minutes are pretty unproductive! Greg
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030909010009070305040105 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Greg O wrote:

--------------030909010009070305040105--
Guess you missed my point although it was not really clear. But maybe the mfg should send spare parts that wear out. They know the belt will wear so why not ust price the machine with spares? Nooooo they have to piss off the customer like this. Went to a chevron sa station 3 mos ago got $38 in gas then pulled over to put some air in a tire. The machine said ..50 went inside and asked and lady said yes everyone pays . Said just bought gas. Still have to pay. Said thanks but this is the last time chevron goes in my truck. Went to another station got free air. Have not put air n my tires in over 30 yrs. Should be a cost of doing business or have a code a cust can punch in like they do with the car wash. Hell no we need the .50 . Now don't go tell me that the free air for one veh will be cost prohibited. After they buy gas. People don't use air every time they fill up. But you can get a coffee inside and help yourself to all the mustard relish ketchup straws napkins etc. Now where is the logic. They have a build in system to piss off the customer. Add a few buck send along an extra belt and forget it. Better yet, what would robin Lee do?

What would Robin Lee do? Tell you that the syringe tip that comes with that $8 2oz bottle of Chair Doctor glue can be cleaned with water and reused indefinitely, then charge an arm and a leg for a couple of replacement tips when it glues shut anyway, inspite of a thorough cleaning immediately after using it.
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Well of course you could just go to the local pharmacy and buy a needle or a whole pack. Or better yet just talk to a person that uses insulin and get a used syringe (cleaned of course).
Of course that isn't the point. OD is correct, they should just include a spare belt, which probably would cost the manufacture pennies to do. Vacuum cleaners come with a spare belt, and an expensive piece of machinery doesn't?

OD would be pissed because there were not 2 extra belts or enough to last a life time.
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:16:06 -0500, the inscrutable "Owen Lawrence"

So RTFM. Have you learned to maintain your glue tip yet? Proper maintenance is a part of any hobby or vocation, dude. Learn or pay.
Did you try soaking or boiling it in vinegar? Did you ask a diabetic friend for an extra syringe tip? Do you have a set of 61-80 number drill bits or a piece of piano/guitar wire?
Moving on...
Hey, I hadn't seen these short auger bits before today. Handy! http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pI884&cat=1,180,42240,49983
--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications ---------------------------------------------------------------
wrote in message

You're going to get a nosebleed if you go up much higher on your horse. What did Robin Lee do to warrant so much defense from you? I did learn, and I didn't pay. When I do pay, it will be a reasonable price. Whether my money goes to Lee Valley or somewhere else is yet to be determined.
Somehow people here seem insulted when you have anything less than worship for Lee Valley Tools. I don't get it.

I did RTFM, and let me quote: "Everything cleans with just water so the needles and syringe are reusable indefinitely." I also used hot water, and blew it out when I was done using it. Just common sense. When it didn't work I attempted to unclog it with piece of steel wire. Then I stopped. Why should I waste my time trying to unclog a low value piece of tubing? It's quite possible the one I got had a defect, but Lee Valley sure wasn't willing to give me another try at it unless I covered every penny of their cost. Instead, I go to my junk box, fish out a syringe, use that. My loss.
The point is, that glue is expensive, and every word of advertising and instruction leads me to believe I'm not going to have any kind of trouble. No warnings, troubleshooting steps, or anything to lower my expectations even the slightest. Everything else I have bought at Lee Valley has been pretty good, and I was willing to pay much more for my high expectations. I'm less willing next time.

Yah right.
- Owen -
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:25:48 -0400, the inscrutable "Owen Lawrence"

Know that from experience, do you? :^)

Rob's a great guy and I've talked with him via both rec.woodworking and email. He and his company are friendly, full of integrity, and truly care about their customers. Their customer service is legendary. If you don't believe that, Google the Wreck for it.

Most of us have had only positive experiences with the company.

Had you complained, they would have offered to cover your cost to ship the product back and refunded all of your money. You obviously weren't that angry about it. I'm surprised that they didn't offer to send another syringe top for you, though. When Rob sees this thread (he tracks the Wreck) he might have some more input on it. I recall having seen a valid gripe here change their company policy for the better. (How often do you hear something like that happening in today's business environment?)

That is unfortunate.

?
--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications ---------------------------------------------------------------

I have had _mostly_ positive experiences.

No, I wasn't angry about it; it's too small a thing to get worked up about. (I apologize for coming across that way.) I was just trying to provide a counter example to one of the previous poster's implicit assertion that Lee Valley Tools does everything right. I live in Ottawa and do my shopping there in person; I did take the effort to drop in and ask for another syringe tip but I got nowhere. Even if the guy had told me that they're expected to clog after one or two uses (why else do they sell replacement tips?) I might be more charitable. Maybe we were all having a bad day, I dunno.
- Owen -
I did not make an implicit assertion that lee valley was perfect. Unless I missed someone else post , and that was their post. I only asked what robin lee would do. The whole darn thing comes down to a company believing too much in the old saying, THERE IS A SUCKER BORN EVERY DAY. I think companies like shop fox should have something made up to replace the items that wear out often. I have no idea how long a belt should last on whatever kind of unit that was purchased. (lathe ? ) Just like the poster about the shear pins for his snow blower. Maybe I have the wrong mind set. But I feel I DID THE COMPANY a favor by shopping with them. They did not do me the favor. As a customer WE pay the company employees salary and the company just signs the check. We don't buy they don't work. But you can be sure at least someone will be selling because they can see the big picture. Guess ole forrest gump was right. Doing business with shop fox and a box of chocolates.
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:02:01 -0400, the inscrutable "Owen Lawrence"

I probably overreacted, too. Sorry.

That's very possible.
BTW, after this discussion, I found that I had bought pin vises last year but never got around to getting the set of HSS #61-80 billdrits, so I ordered them via Ebay last night. $0.95 plus (get this) $1.10 insurance (-required-) and $3.75 shipping. That works out to 29 cents per bit, delivered. Not a bad price, but shipping and insurance were 400% of the original cost.
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:

DAMN those automobile manufacturers that sell cars with tires that wear out. Don't get me started on the tool companies that make sanders and include 1 sheet of sand paper in the box.
Leon wrote:

Why would we need more? Press harder!
Barry

The boys with the calculators probably know!

That was the preferred method!! Greg

Obviously no business management back ground. but if the employee did not have to take a crap, the cost of doing business would be lower. Besides paying the employee, you have insurance, local taxes, the cost of the facility, cost of equipment, cost of maintaninence, and the cost of the product that you are selling. Workmans comp, Utilities, Office Supplies, Advertising, Retirement Plans to name a few. If anything is left over after all those expenses, you have your Net Profit which Uncle Sam wants to share with you.