No free plans??

I'm searching the I-net looking for some free WW plans to add to what's in my newby book. I'm just interested in doing a lot of reading before/while I get started and hoping to get some more exposure.

Just when you do a search for free plans every site redirects you to another where the plans are "pay" plans.

Does anyone know of any free sites?

Thanks

Strike

P.S. sorry for being so green :)

Reply to
striker

Preston Andreas

I have a few on my website at

BUB 209

Rick Gibson

Everybody starts out green. These days there are no apprentices, so you have to learn from books and magazines. My advice would be to go to your local library, or that of the nearest good-sized town, and find the woodworking books there. You can also sometimes find back-issues of lots of good woodworking mags in the periodical section. My library has lots of good stuff.

As to why there aren't a lot of free plans on the 'net- it's not hard to understand. A lot of time and effort goes into getting a plan ready, not to mention the creative factor, and few people will want to do this for free. I have designed a lot of things over the years, and I'm planning to get all of my sketches together and make real plans out of them- then open an Ebay store to sell them for a nominal price. Why am I doing this? Because I can't stop having ideas, and I have a responibility to do everything I can to supprt my family!

Think about this, though (a thought that occured to me the other day)- the fact that people can sell their ideas has led to more knowledge being available to all of us. How so? Well, in the old "guild" days of crafting, if someone had a new idea for an item or technique, he kept to himself. By doing so, he would get all the benefit of it, at least until his competitors learned to copy it. Now, by having the option of selling the idea in the form of a book or plan, it is of more benefit to the inventor to sell the idea itself!

Steve Kreitler

Steve Kreitler

Frank Campbell

Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 6:44pm snipped-for-privacy@groundgrapple.com (striker) asks: Does anyone know of any free sites?

Free woodworking plans are a popular urban myth.

Actually, there are a number of free plans out there, however, most of them are only for very advance woodworkers, such as this plan. Most of the people here probably would have trouble doing it.

Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

Sat, Feb 28, 2004, 10:24am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@camalott.com (Steve=A0Kreitler) claims: As to why there aren't a lot of free plans on the 'net- it's not hard to understand.

What I can't understand is people saying there aren't a lot of free plans on the web. There's loads of 'em. And easy to find. You might have problem find exactly what you want, but plans are definitely out there. I've posted a few here, when I run across them. Check the archives. And, I haven't post any of the really interesting plans - metalworking, etc., just woodworking stuff, and not even 10% of those.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

(Steve Kreitler) claims: As to why there aren't a lot of free plans on the 'net- it's not hard to understand.

What I can't understand is people saying there aren't a lot of free plans on the web. There's loads of 'em. And easy to find. You might have problem find exactly what you want, but plans are definitely out there. I've posted a few here, when I run across them.

I stand corrected :) Actually, I have to correct you, here- you haven't posted "a few", you've posted a *lot* of plans! I for one appreciate your efforts, and I've checked out a bunch of the links you've posted- often very inspirational!

Steve

Steve Kreitler