Nifty layout puzzle.

Page 2 of 2
Mike in Arkansas wrote:

Just in case it wasn't obvious to everyone, I just like to point out there is *no* real world solution; since both boards have the same surface area (288 sq.in.), and all saws have some kerf, you can't cut the board even once and expect the same surface area unless you recover the sawdust, mix it with resin or something and glue it back on (an interesting idea, but not in the spirit of the rules).
Given that, I think lacking a perfect 90 degree turn doesn't really matter.

Hmm, if the board is thin enough (say, 1/16th cork) can we get there with a knife?

matter.

So cut it with a knife. Sheesh.

Or plunge cut with a skill saw or jig saw.

You mustn't let details/reality like that interfere with solving a thought problem.
Is the more than 2 pieces?
"Leon" wrote in message

Nope, it is more than two cuts, but only two pieces if I correctly read the ASCII art.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Looks pretty trivial. My answer is the same as Doug's, recognizing that the loss due to saw kerf is not part of this idealized problem.
A non-trivial version of this puzzle is the following: You have a 10'x10' piece of carpet and a 1'x8' piece of carpet. Cut one of these two carpet pieces into two pieces (with no losses), and use the resulting three pieces to carpet a 9'x12' room.

I can do it with two cuts but not yet with one
<< From: Robatoy snipped-for-privacy@BULLtopworks.ca Date: Mon, Jan 3, 2005 7:14 AM
I had seen this many moons ago, but my BIL reminded me of it over the holidays.
A guy has a 3' x 8' board.
He needs to fill a hole 2' x 12'
He cuts the board into 2 pieces, which fit the hole perfectly.
How?
I'm sure some of you have seen this, but it still demonstrates what 'thinking out of the box' is all about.
I accept all .dwg, .dxf and scanned pencil or ascii art. *G* Result will be posted in abpw in the next few days.
PS. Board-stretchers are not allowed.
Rob >><BR><BR>

I made that mistake also. You can have as many cuts as you like as long as you only end up with 2 pieces.

Cut into peice "x" and peice "o" as below
|o|xx| |o|xx| |o|xx| |o|xx| |oo|x| |oo|x| |oo|x| |oo|x|
Rejoin like this:
|x x| |x x| |x x| |x x| |o|x| |o|x| |o|x| |o|x| |o o| |o o| |o o| |o o|
So, do I win a shiny new tool? :)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam