Nifty layout puzzle.

I had seen this many moons ago, but my BIL reminded me of it over the holidays.

A guy has a 3' x 8' board.

He needs to fill a hole 2' x 12'

He cuts the board into 2 pieces, which fit the hole perfectly.

How?

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but it still demonstrates what 'thinking out of the box' is all about.

I accept all .dwg, .dxf and scanned pencil or ascii art. *G* Result will be posted in abpw in the next few days.

PS. Board-stretchers are not allowed.

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

One simple solution is cut the board diagonally from corner to corner, slide the two pieces along the cut edge until the width of both pieces equals 2'.

You should then have your 2' x 12' board.

Reply to
Swingman

Correction, inadvertently left out a few words in that last sentence:

"You should then, using the two cut off excess triangles on each end, have enough material for your 2' x 12' board."

Reply to
Swingman

Cut the 3x8 so that you end up with 1, 2x8 and 1, 1x8. then cut the 1x8 into 2, 1x4. Put those at the end of the2x8 piece. I e-mailed you a DWG.drawing.

Reply to
Leon

But then you would have cut the 3' x 8' board into more than 2 pieces.

Only 2 pieces are allowed. *S*

Reply to
Robatoy

My e-mail with the solution drawing bounced back to me.

I posted on a.b.p.w.

Reply to
Leon

Oups 2 pieces, not 2 cuts... Please disregard all my posts to the solution,, LOL

Reply to
Leon

(best viewed in fixed-space font e.g. Courier)

Cut thus:

__________________ | _________| |________| | |_________________|

and reassemble thus:

___________________________ | _________| | |________|_________________|

Doug Miller

My mistake. I keep forgetting to mention "remove BULL" from my addy.

Reply to
Robatoy

If I understand your picture properly, I thought of doing it the same way. But for all practical purposes, it's impossible to make a 90° turn while continuing the same cut. And if it could be done, then in actuality, then the puzzle could be done with one cut.

??????????????????????? ??????4'????? ? ? ?????4'?????? ???????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????? ? ???????????? ? ???????????????????????????????????

Reply to
Upscale

Arrrgggg. Details, details ... that's what you get for working and fartin' off at the same time.

I haven't done, and don't have the time at the moment, to do the little bit of math required to answer if my diagonal cut would allow you stretch out, as I described, to 2 x 12' ... apparently it doesn't?

If not, I'm with Leon ... ignore my previous posts on the subject. ;>)

Reply to
Swingman

You can make as many cuts as you like, as long as you only end up with 2 pieces.

*S*

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

Is the more than 2 pieces?

Reply to
Leon

Nope, it is more than two cuts, but only two pieces if I correctly read the ASCII art.

Reply to
Swingman

Simple, The 2' hole is round. 2' in diameter and 12' deep. A guy cuts a 2' circle out of the board and it fits perfectly in the hole.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Not hard at all with a saber saw or a scroll saw.

Well, yes.

Doug Miller

View it in a fixed-space font as I suggested when I posted it, and you should have no difficulty understanding it.

scroll saw band saw saber saw keyhole saw

Obviously it can, on both counts. Note that the statement of the problem specified two *pieces*, and placed no restrictions on the number of cuts.

Doug Miller

Maybe in your world you can make a sharp 90° cut with those tools, but my world doesn't allow for it.

Well, there I misread the rules of the puzzle. I thought it had to be two cuts which I couldn't figure out.

Reply to
Upscale

So it's a problem of semantics? To be absolutely accurate about this, Doug's solution will not work in the real world. All his suggested methods of cutting are going to leave a kerf and the two boards will no longer be two feet across but will be 1/8 inch or so shy.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas